If you think adjustable beds are merely meant for hospital rooms, think again! Of course, you will find the vast majority in hospitals or healthcare institutions, yet still, they are growing in popularity for home use.
Given the present day innovations in the technology of adjustable beds, these products are of high quality and seem quite attractive both with regards to appearance and comfort.
In this sense, especially if you are a couple with different sleeping preferences, you should consider getting an adjustable bed if you can afford it. You may be surprised at the affordability of some choices.
In this guide, you will also get insights into all you need to know about adjustable beds, their pros, cons, and types before you decide which adjustable bed you will buy. We compared Amazon’s best-selling adjustable beds to the criteria we determined should be considered to provide our recommendations. Options for nearly every budget are included.
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 8 Best Adjustable beds 2019(Reviews and compare)
- 1.1 Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape + 2.0 Foundation Style
- 1.2 Nectar Adjustable Bed
- 1.3 Reverie 7S™ Adjustable Foundation
- 1.4 Tomorrow Sleep Adjustable Base
- 1.5 Classic Brands Full Adjustable Comfort Bed Base with Wireless Remote
- 1.6 Serta Motion Essentials II
- 1.7 Legget & Platt ShipShape base
- 1.8 PragmaBed Simple Adjust Head and Foot Adjustable Foundation
- 2 What is an adjustable bed
- 3 Benefits&downsides of adjustable beds
- 4 Types of adjustable beds
- 5 Final verdict
Top 8 Best Adjustable beds 2019(Reviews and compare)
|Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape||Y||290 lbs||Y||25 year||$$$$|
|Nectar Adjustable Bed||Y||180 lbs||Y||3 year||$$$|
|Reverie 7S||Y||175 lbs||Y||20 Year||$$$|
|Tomorrow||N||147 lbs||Y||3 Year||$$$|
|Classic Brands||Y||147 lbs||N||3 year||$$|
|Serta Motion Essentials II||Y||171 lbs||N||20 Year||$$$|
|Legget & Platt ShipShape base||Y||75 lbs||N||25 year||$$$|
|PragmaBed Simple||N||51 lbs||N||3 year||$|
So, which are the Top 8 Best Adjustable Beds in 2019? Our research suggested that among the many adjustable beds available in the market, there are some that set themselves apart and gain particular popularity, thanks to their top features. They are shown below with a brief review of each top-rated adjustable bed to help you pick the one which suits you best.
Also Read: Top 10 Best Mattress 2019
Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape + 2.0 Foundation Style
The Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape is an improvement over their earlier model. Featuring a trendy platform with Wallhugger Engineering and Dual massage option that allows for individual positioning options.
Here are the features of the Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape which set it apart from the rest.
- Solid Base:
If you choose this model, then you have chosen a really solid frame thanks to its Twin Base design. This is a quality adjustable bed frame made with a strong base that provides firm support to your mattress while helping you relax to easily snooze. In addition, the mattress comes with an exclusive MicroHook™ retention system which means there is no need for a mattress retainer bar at the foot of your bed.
- Two Wireless Remotes:
The Leggett and Platt adjustable bed base is quite popular. As far as the S-Cape model, it comes with two wireless remote controls. These can be used to control each side of the split king bed independently. In this sense, you can position each bed on the base accordingly (including the Zero Gravity positioning), which is convenient but also eliminates the risks of damaging either of the beds. In addition, there are two 4-port USB hubs that allow you to charge up to eight USB devices from your bed base.
- Under-Bed Lighting:
A really cool feature that comes with Legget & Platt adjustable beds, is the under-bed LED lighting. Clients who bought these beds state that they found this feature is a great attribute which adds to the experience overall. Indeed, it is definitely an added advantage, especially for senior citizens who dread the ordeal of spring cleaning and are aided by this feature.
- Comfort and body support
Quiet Motor Performance:
You would imagine that using a motorized adjustable bed would cause considerable noise. Think again! One of the best features of the Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape is that it literally makes no sound when you reposition. This feature means neither partner’s sleep is disrupted when the bed is repositioned. If you need to raise your head because you’re experiencing acid reflux, you won’t wake your partner when you lift the head of your side of the bed.
- Dual Massage:
This model has become particularly favorable due to its dual massage function, which allows different massage functions simultaneously on each of the split beds. The manufacturers provide Wallhugger technology and the dual massage feature and pre-installed custom memory positions.
Each side can enjoy a massage that suits their personal preferences on the Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape including therapeutic massage which resolves chiropractic tensions accumulated during a busy day.
Also read: Best massage chair
The bed base has a great capacity of up to 850 lbs. total maximum weight.
The Leggett and Platt S-Cape is made in the USA. You will be happy to hear it is CSA-certified to both UL and CSA-applicable electric motor standards and comes with a 1-2-3 25-year warranty which works as follows:
- 1st year – full warranty
- 2nd and 3rd years – limited warranty
- 4th through the end of the 25th year – limited warranty
They also provided another version: Try the combo deal featuring the Leggett and Platt S-Cape with DynastyMattress, including two 12’’ thick mattresses included with the bed made of visco elastic memory foam and polyurethane foam base. Overall, a unique combination which makes the Leggett and Platt S-Cape rather unbeatable.
- Chiropractic Health: You get a solid base for flawless chiropractic health
- Freedom to control individually: Each side of the adjustable bed can be controlled independently.
- Easy and Spacious set up: Don’t worry about setting up this bed frame. It can be arranged free-of-cost by a professional. The bed is also fitted with wall hugger engineering, which allows for more space in your room.
- Therapeutic: You will definitely benefit from the dual massage function and hopefully, many sleeping disorders can be dealt with effectively this way!
- Extremely quiet when active: This is not your typical electrical appliance which causes unbearable noise, as you will hardly sense the motors when active. Set up the remotes properly and they will work silently.
- You may also like: Legget Platt Adjustable Beds Review
- Heavy bases: The bases of the Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape are super heavy, so you will need help lifting.
- This option isn’t for someone with a tight budget.
Nectar Adjustable Bed
The Nectar Adjustable Bed Frame provides you with a way of elevating your sleep to a new level. Combine the Nectar mattress with the adjustable bed to create a complete sleep system for the ultimate experience.
This alternative normally works because you can raise the top of the bed a sufficient amount to achieve the desired angle and you can raise the foot section of the adjustable bed high enough so you will not slip during the night.
- Easy setup
- It includes the option to raise the head, feet, or both.
- Three-zone massage
- Wireless remote
- USB plugs for easy charging
- Three programmable memory setting
- Zero gravity setting
- TV recline setting
The Nectar Adjustable Bed Frame is highly durable. It is engineered to provide strong support for your Nectar or compatible mattress. The base has a metallic construction that offers a strong solid feeling.
The ability to transfer into and out of bed is very important. The Nectar Adjustable Bed is designed to be lowered so that the top of the mattress is a mere 15 inches from the floor. For most users, this height can facilitate unaided transfer to and from a wheelchair.
Nectar offers the adjustable bed frame in the usual range of sizes, including Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and Split King. As you can see, the manufacturer has customized frame sizes that fit specific users’ specification, including Twin XL and Split King.
The adjustable frame offers customized sleep. You just have to adjust the setup with a single push of a button. The remote control function allows you to elevate your upper body and head to watch TV or read a novel. You can also raise your legs for additional comfort.
Both the head and the legs can be raised independently or together. You can raise the head up when reading or the foot up when relaxing. You can raise both sides to their appropriate angles for leisure. You can also conveniently raise both sides to the zero-gravity sleep position.
In zero gravity, when you go to sleep, you just close your eyes, and your head does not go anywhere. It just sort of stays there. There are benefits to sleeping in zero gravity. On a flatbed, you have to turn over regularly to relieve the pressure points.
In zero gravity, there are none of these problems. You simply stretch out your legs, close your eyes, fold your arms, and go to sleep. The head does not nod, limbs do not go to sleep, and you wake up feeling perfectly refreshed.
- You can program your desired position
- Fastest and easiest set up in the entire industry
- Wireless remote for superior operation
- Zero gravity setting offers numerous therapeutic benefits
- USB plugs available for easy charging of tablet and phone
- Free shipping and returns
- Does not have under bed light
- You may need to buy a compatible mattress
The Reverie 7S™ Adjustable Bed is a favorite option in this category featuring a Bluetooth-enabled adjustable bed with highly advanced properties that will allow your body to rest, sit or meditate in any position you enjoy. Plus, it relieves lumbar muscle pain and claims to correct sleep posture and minimize sleep apnea symptoms.
- Bluetooth Controls:
The Reverie 7S™ has set a high standard when it comes to innovation. It features an optional Bluetooth® Mobile Module which can be controlled by a device which has Bluetooth or via a free app provided during the purchase of the adjustable bed. This allows you to control the bed, independent of the remotes.
- Customizable massage options:
The Reverie 7S™ is specially built with an ingenious massage system which incorporates 10 customizable intensity options which can be controlled using your Bluetooth device. You can choose to use the massage simultaneously for the head and foot or separately for each.
- Wireless Remotes:
This model includes two Wireless remotes featuring two memory preset programs called Anti Snore and Zero Gravity which allow you to save your favorite relaxing/sleeping postures. Of course, you can also use the remotes for choosing among the 10 intensity levels of the massage feature as well as other positions.
Also read: Sleeping Positions (Find the best sleeping position for you)
- Solid Advanced Base:
The Reverie 7S™ includes a mattress which is of medium firmness and relieves pressure points. This model is designed to work well in all sorts of positions and contours to the human body exceptionally well. If you choose to buy this combo deal, you will benefit from the ‘101 nights risk-free trial’ for the complete sleep system!
- Extremely quiet Motor:
The Reverie 7S™ is designed to facilitate sleep, featuring a motor that is flawlessly quiet during any function. Rest assured that noise from the Reverie’s motor will not disturb your sleeping partner.
The extremely strong motor in the Reverie 7S™ can quietly and effortlessly lift up to 850 lbs.
The Reverie 7S™ is made in the USA and comes with white glove delivery service if you choose and has a 20-year hassle-free warranty.
- Compatible with mattresses: You can choose to use the exclusive Dreams and Dream Supreme mattresses.
- Durability and reliability: The Reverie consists of durable steel and comes with an ironclad 20-Year Warranty, making it a highly reliable product.
- Therapeutic: This product deals exceptionally well with spinal adjustment, rest and contour.
- Independence: With the wireless remote controls and the Bluetooth functionality in the bed base you can choose your preferred position and relax without having to move from your bed!
- Conforms to your needs and adds a layer of comfort: All Reverie beds, the 7S comes with 4-corner container bars which prevent sliding of the mattress while contouring to the natural curves of the body.
- Hefty: This high-end product is rather heavy, and therefore you will need assistance lifting it and moving it around.
- One Remote: Customers state that having two remotes for this adjustable bed would be great, which for the time being only offers two in a King size!
Tomorrow Sleep Adjustable Base
Adjustable beds are not only meant for hospitals. If you want to have a relaxed and comfortable sleep at night, tomorrow Sleep adjustable base can make a world of difference. You are able to adjust the positions of the bed for your convenience without any hassle. You will definitely find it worthwhile if you are looking for a perfect sleep.
Tomorrow sleep adjustable base not only provides comfort to you; it also benefits your health. It is specially designed for you to have a relaxed and stress-free sleep at night. You are able to enrich your sleeping experience by alleviating pain from the pressure points.
- Comfort and body support
Tomorrow sleep adjustable base comes with exceptional features which allow you to have a comfortable sleep at night. The state-of-the-art technology and innovative design give you superior comfort and support. You are able to adjust the position of the bed base according to your requirements. If you suffer from sleep apnea or acid reflux, you can raise the head of the bed and improve your condition.
- USB-Port Convenience
It is perfect for your bedroom if you are tech-savvy. It comes with the convenience of USB-ports built into the bed. You can keep your devices close and charge them while you sleep.
- Zero Gravity
You are able to relieve the pressure of gravity from your body in the zero-gravity sleeping position. You can adjust your neck and back to an optimal position to avoid any pressure. The zero-gravity position of this adjustable base not only allows you to have a comfortable sleep, it also increases your blood circulation. Elevating your legs can reduce leg and ankle swelling and relieve symptoms associated with varicose veins.
- Easy to set-up
You might wonder how to set-up the adjustable base with your bed. Tomorrow sleep has thoughtfully designed it for ease and convenience. Assembling the base and setting it up is not a daunting task. You are able to enjoy the different adjustable positions it offers without any hassle.
- Multiple Sizes
You don’t have if the adjustable base is compatible with the size of your bed. It comes in different sizes. The available sizes are Queen, Twin XL, and Split King. No matter what shape the frame of your bed is, if it matches the dimensions of the base, it fits easily.
- Prevents back pain
After having a long and stressful day at work, you want peaceful and uninterrupted sleep. This adjustable base is designed to keep your spine properly aligned. You are able to reduce the risk of back pain.
- Anti-snore feature:
If you suffer from the problem of snoring while sleeping, you can benefit from the adjustable base to a great extent. You can easily tilt the upper part slightly up to lift your head. This will make you breathe easily and stop you from snoring.
One of the best features is that you can perform various tasks while staying in bed. You can watch your favorite show on the TV or read your favorite novel comfortably by adjusting the upper and lower parts of the base.
Tomorrow sleep gives you the benefit of a free 100-night trial. You can satisfy yourself completely before deciding whether or not to keep the adjustable bed. Moreover, they build your trust by giving you a 3-year warranty.
- You can easily adjust the positions of the base.
- You are able to have optimal comfort and body support.
- Easy to assemble and easy to use.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty with a 100-night free trial.
- Only one USB port and its location is more difficult to reach.
- No underbed lighting.
- No massage features.
Classic Brands Full Adjustable Comfort Bed Base with Wireless Remote
The Adjustable Comfort Bed Base by Classic Brands is one of the most popular choices incorporating lots of cool features which make it excellent for your master bedroom.
- Wireless remote:
The Classic Brands Bed Base includes a wireless remote with preset positions that automatically change to meet your needs. Apart from the wireless remote, the bed base comes with 2 USB charging ports for your portable devices.
- Sleek and supportive design:
The bed base created by Classic Brands has a sleek design with a contemporary feel and makes for a perfect support system with its mattress bar and overall construction so that the mattress does not slip. Also, the Classic Brands Bed Base comes with 6 legs exceeding the usual industry standards of 4. The bed frameworks with memory foam and latex mattresses, or if you have a spring mattress that is adjustable bed friendly.
- Zero gravity position:
The Zero Gravity Preset position is pre-programmed in the Classic Brands Bed Base. It means that when in this position, your body feels the least amount of pressure, similar to when being in space. Sleeping in bed to a position where there is less gravity, means less pressure and ultimately hopefully undisturbed and more restful sleep.
- Therapeutic effect:
The best feature of this adjustable bed is how you can adjust the upper and lower parts of the base according to your needs with the wireless remote control. Using the massage feature adds a layer of luxury and comfort.
If you suffer from any sleep-related condition, you will highly benefit from this model. In particular, it reduces back pain and enhances blood pressure.
Also read: Best Mattress For Back Pain 2019
- Relaxation benefits:
The Classic Brands Bed Base is specially designed to help you relax after a long day by watching TV, reading or surfing the internet while lying on your bed.
This model can lift up to 1000lbs of maximum distributed weight for Full and Queen.
The Classic Brands is manufactured in the US and comes with a 3-year warranty. It ships to your door via FED-EX or UPS at your expense.
- Functional design: The Classic Brands Bed Base has a platform design but is suitable for use with most traditional bed frames.
- Health benefits: Reduces back pain and enhances blood pressure. The model also helps with sleep apnea, heartburn, acid reflux or GERD.
- Relaxation – lifestyle benefits: This model performs well for relaxation purposes.
- Easily assembled: The Classic Brands Bed Base requires a minimal amount of assembly, so it is easy to handle and will not trouble you much.
- Does not come with a mattress: You must buy your own mattress and add it to the bed, which means an extra cost.
Serta Motion Essentials II
Serta is well known for its affordable luxury mattresses being in the industry for over 80 years. Nevertheless, they also make good bed frames, as the Serta Motion Essentials II model demonstrates. The multi-featured adjustable bed is popular thanks to its effective therapeutic effects and relaxation benefits.
- Smooth Multi-Adjustable Power Lifting Frame:
The Serta allows the user to control the elevation of the hydraulic head and foot concurrently with its Smooth Power™ Lifting System. The high-quality system increases the powerlifting speed while it puts you to sleep and also permits remote function without much effort.
The base has an anti-movement bar for mattresses to stay in place, and also offers casters or headboard brackets at an extra cost.
- Strong Metal Sidebar:
The sturdiness of the frame is key in an adjustable bed. The Serta Motion is equipped with an additional metal sidebar, which supports the mattress and prevents it from slipping down.
- No Assembly required for Setup:
The Serta Motion ships in one-piece, so you don’t need to worry about assembly and set-up. The product is assembled at the factory and thus you can install it in an hour.
The Motion Essentials II comes with an ability to lift up to 650 lbs at once.
This model is made in the USA and costs less (see cheap mattresses here) to buy compared to its competitors due to its basic 4 button wired remote and a decision to exclude fancy extras like Bluetooth and massage modules. The product comes with the standard Manufacturer’s 1-3-20 Limited Warranty.
- Works just as described: Based on the customer reviews and feedback, it seems that every bit of what the creators promise as far as specifications and packaging work.
- Efficient installation: Since the product is assembled in the factory and shipped as the one-piece, the setup installation will take no more than an hour!
- Comfortable and peaceful: There are no loud noises of the motor, active or inactive, unlike other bed frames for this amount of money.
- Therapeutic sleep at an affordable price: The bed features sturdy elevations and enhanced sleeping posture at a great price.
- Compatible with most Queen Size mattresses: The Serta Motion can fit any queen size mattress on its frame, unlike other beds which do not adhere to universal mattress size standards.
- Heavy for a single person: The frame appears heavy for one to lift so you must have assistance shifting it.
- High Legs Low Sidebar: Some customers complain that the product had a very low sidebar. If so, you can consider affordable accessories and adjustments Serta offers, by calling their customer care to help you resolve this issue immediately!
Legget & Platt ShipShape base
This Legget & Platt product looks like a standard adjustable bed yet it is installed with high-end features. As its name reveals, the Legget & Pratt ShipShape features a revolutionizing ShipShape design, however, it also has whisper quiet motors and a customizable base to allow different levels of comfort.
- ShipShape Base:
The ShipShape base is renowned for its excellent angular support which is perfect for spine alignment, while it can relieve joint stiffness and sleep posture problems.
The base is customizable, so you can adjust it to your needs, however, it is programmed in general to provide the best for the user, whether it is flexible, flat, leveled, zero gravity, or a reclining position.
The base comes in Multi-Range Head and Foot Elevations. This means the ShipShape base is a sought-after portable choice bed as well!
- Wired Remote Control:
This model features a wired remote control (it is expected that it will be upgraded in the near future to suit wireless preferences) with pushback buttons and ability to individually control the multiple positioning functions of the bed from a distance.
- Whisper-Quiet Motor
The motors in this model by L&P are specially designed to function in whisper quiet decibels, regardless if it’s day or night. This sound-free attribute means you will never disturb your partner in case you want to change position in the middle of the night.
There is even an emergency backup implemented in these motors to flat position in 30 minutes when there is sudden power off for instance.
- Free Shipping & Easy Assembly:
The ShipShape model is delivered to your doorstep free of charge unlike other companies do. The delivery does not include installation, yet the product is completely assembled in the factory and comes with tutorial DVDs so you won’t have trouble setting it up.
The Legget & Platt ShipShape can lift an adequate 425 lbs through its dual motor whisper quiet mechanism controlled by a basic wired remote.
The Legget & Platt ShipShape is the USA made and features an amazing 20 years warranty.
- Durable: The ultra-flexible base in the ShipShape is strong and sturdy so it can handle a long use day and night, and it is considered to be durable, which shows in its 20-Year Warranty.
- Conforming: The ShipShape base is thought to be one of the best bases that naturally contour to the body’s curves and lines. It can even facilitate the right posture of the users.
- Therapeutic: Besides sleep posture corrections, the ShipShape base is also perfect for therapeutic benefits to sleep disorders and backaches, through its elevation of head and foot at even levels.
- Peaceful: One thing you certainly shouldn’t worry about this product is noise. The whisper quiet motor works in silence and you can hardly hear it, whether its day or night.
- Effortless assembly: Assembling the ShipShape is a piece of cake since the product is factory assembled and can easily be handled by a single person.
- Portable: The ShipShape base is built to be easily transferred from one place to another so this makes highly portable.
- Hefty: Although assembly is easy, you should consider asking for an extra set of hands or two to lift and shift the product, since it is quite heavy.
- Height: Several customers complain that castors in the ShipShape are of improper heights, although there is the option of choosing one of those castors (4”-7”) to fix the height just right for you.
PragmaBed Simple Adjust Head and Foot Adjustable Foundation
Although being a standard adjustable base, the PragmaBed Simple Adjust Head and Foot Adjustable Foundation is a popular choice for budget-conscious buyers. It doesn’t include a motor. Adjustments are made when you are out of the bed by pulling up on straps designed to make adjusting the settings easy. There are multiple positions available for both the head and feet areas.
- Solid Construction:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed base is made of Heavy-duty steel, which is literally ironclad. This sturdy construction provides the support you need for your mattress and also contours well to the body’s natural curves. In addition, the solid foundation minimizes the risk of accidents and makes the product durable.
The gauge of the frame is standard metal and enhances the good foundation overall. Due to its construction, the PragmaBed base is lightweight and therefore portable too.
- Easy and Negligible Assembly:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed base requires negligible work to assemble as it is assembled at the factory and only takes a few minutes once unpacked to have it all set up. The frame unfolds to full size when opened.
In addition, the product is quite compact so you can fit it pretty much everywhere.
- Safety Coat/ Resistance against Mites and Bugs:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed base comes with a unique coating which is hypoallergenic and hence will keep bugs miles away. The coating also guarantees resistance to corrosion, which enhances the product’s durability.
The powder coating can be adjusted accordingly when you set up the bed. This safety feature is unique to Pragma Adjustable Bed and serves for hygiene purposes!
- Carefully engineered elevations:
It may seem like the Pragma Adjustable Bed has a basic structure, yet it has been engineered carefully to allow for therapeutic elevations to relieve different aches.
The bed provides 800 angles for the head and 300 angles for the foot. These elevations and multi-functions result from scientifically proven theories on accelerated deep sleep mechanisms and sleep posture corrections.
- Under-bed Storage Space:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed provides ample under-bed storage space by not compromising to under-bed lights, which take away space.
The Pragma Adjustable Bed supports up to 1200 lbs. of distributed weight in TWIN and TWIN XL sizes and an amazing 2400 lbs. distributed weight in its FULL, QUEEN, KING, or CAL KING sizes!
Also read: Best Mattress for Heavy People
Pragma Adjustable Bed is manufactured in China. It offers excellent US-based customer support though. The product comes with 3-Year Plus warranty and is quite reliable, so no need to worry that it might break down or disappoint you.
- Works Just as Described: Everything advertised about the Pragma Adjustable bed is precise and accurate.
- Therapeutic: The Pragma Adjustable Bed have therapeutic benefits with their multi-function angles and elevations.
- Portable: The Pragma Adjustable bed frame is extremely light and foldable, which is a great advantage as it makes it easy to lift and shift for cleaning or re-positioning.
- Affordable: This model targets everyday people who seek luxury and relaxation at an affordable price.
- It will work during a power outage.
- Basic Model: Adjustments are manual. There is no motor or remote control.
- Accident Prone: The arms and locks of this adjustable bed should fall exactly into place which means that the confirmation click is heard, otherwise you risk falling off the bed!
What is an adjustable bed
You may have heard people talking about a zero -gravity bed or electric bed. This refers to an electric adjustable bed which in simple terms means a bed whose base can be elevated and fixed by means of powered controls so that you reach the preferred position.
Normally, you can choose to elevate either the upper or lower areas of the platform, or even lift both concurrently, which creates a zero-gravity effect. These all are usually controlled by an electric powered hydraulic motor which helps control these moves and adjust the bed to your needs.
The above are some of the functions adjustable beds can provide. Of course, you should look for the specifications of each product for more details on what they have to offer.
Benefits&downsides of adjustable beds
There are both benefits and negatives that come with using an adjustable bed base rather than the common traditional mattress. The figure below lists some of these good and bad “side-effects” which we explain further in the following paragraphs.
There are both benefits and negatives that come with using an adjustable bed base rather than the common traditional bed. The figure below lists some of these good and bad “side-effects” which we explain further in the following paragraphs.
- Time to chill out
Do not assume that adjustable beds are simply good company if you are elderly. Of course, they are ideal if you belong among this portion of the population, but there are other consumers who could benefit from the multifunction features of an adjustable bed.
For instance, adjustable beds are ideal for relaxation when you come home from a busy day at work and want to watch TV or read a book while laying on your bed.
- Additional comfort
As you may presume, adjustable beds provide great comfort and enhanced support, which is ideal if you suffer from any chronic pain. You will find that an adjustable bed helps improve your condition and helps relieve these symptoms.
In addition, if you have certain mobility issues, the personalized features of an adjustable bed will be of benefit and increase your comfort.
- Change positions easily
If you suffer from different mobility difficulties, putting your adjustable bed in an upright position can make it easier to get in and out of your bed safely and raising or lowering your torso or legs can ease pain from spending time in bed.
At the same time, if you offer care assistance for a person in need, it is easier to tend to someone who’s in an upright position, unlike if you look after someone who is lying in a traditional bed.
- Zero gravity
Despite the term zero-gravity, the bed is not free from the effects of gravity since, in reality, there cannot be such a thing. Having an adjustable bed can do the next best thing which is to minimize the amount of pressure from gravitational laws by elevating the bed base accordingly.
This will create a minimum amount of pressure for your body which is great if you are dealing with chronic conditions like back, neck or hip pain. Such a resting position is ideal if you suffer from body pain such as the neck, back, and hip, as it will relieve pressure on the joints and other sensitive areas from excessive pressure.
- No need to rent
If you care for an elderly person or have some need for a hospital bed due to a medical condition, there is no need to rent it, which is expensive. You can buy a high-quality adjustable bed and save substantial costs while you get a decent bed that will last longer.
An adjustable bed with or without a mattress has a relatively high price compared to other traditional options such as platforms, four posters, and bunk beds.
We would recommend searching for a combo deal, which can significantly cut down the cost of an adjustable bed.
It is likely that if you have a rather high sense of aesthetics, you will not particularly fancy the simple metal bed frame which is common and quite visible in adjustable beds.
Still, if you need the adjustable bed, consider covering the sides with large sheets or another cool quilt cover to distract the eye.
Keep in mind that like other devices, your adjustable electric bed is more sensitive to breakdowns or malfunctions. Of course, advanced technology nowadays has made adjustable beds built with quality mechanisms that prevent such issues, however, you should still remember that it is a possibility.
This is one reason you should pay attention to the warranty that comes with the product you buy, to easily replace your bed in case of such issues.
Types of adjustable beds
If you are wondering which type of material fits best on an adjustable bed, we have the answer. A great adjustable bed is one who can elevate the head and foot sections of the bed of up to 70 degrees on average, which means that you are most concerned with flexibility and durability. Therefore, you need a mattress that will last longer and also is flexible to bend and turn.
Most adjustable beds come with four kinds of mattresses: memory foam, latex foam, traditional innerspring, or air beds. We have delved deeper into each material to see which one performs best when it comes to adjustable beds and why. Here’s what we have come up with.
Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses are great when you are dealing with pressure and pain. This material can absorb pressure extremely well by evenly spreading the weight across its surface and easily contours to the body of the sleeper.
Having this type of mattress on an adjustable bed means it flexes easily and the user can experience a pain-free comforting feel no matter which position the bed is in.
Also read: Top 8 Best Memory Foam Mattress 2019
This type of mattress is ideal since it can effectively prevent pain and pressure points. Latex feels different than memory foam, often referred to as buoyant. You can find it in natural and synthetic forms. Natural ones are considered better for your health, while it is best to opt for thinner latex mattresses as these can easily flex to adapt to your preferred position.
Also important is that high-quality latex foam is quite durable, which means your mattress will last longer.
Also read: Top 6 Best Latex Mattress 2019
Most people are familiar with innerspring mattresses, consisting of spring or coils topped with padding and foam. Beware that standard spring mattresses will not be compatible with adjustable bases, although there have been attempts to manufacture them specifically for this sort of use.
Still, spring mattresses are not the best option since they create pressure points, are not as flexible and need to be replaced on a more regular basis than other types of mattresses.
Air Bed Mattresses
Air bed mattresses can be used on adjustable bases especially if they are enhanced with adjustable pressure systems. This type of bed will have inner air chambers incorporated with an encasement, usually topped by padding or foams.
Nevertheless, the need to flex and bend that comes with an adjustable bed means that the flow of air is impeded. Also, single-chamber systems are potentially really stiff on adjustable bases.
Also read: Best Air Mattress 2019
In this post, we researched among different adjustable beds that have high ratings on Amazon and concluded chose the best 8 adjustable beds that are set apart from the bunch. Our verdict is based on some general rules and criteria which we summarize here:
Key requirements for a quality adjustable bed
- To allow adjustment of up to 60 degrees in head angle and 45 degrees in foot angle.
- To hold sufficient weight ranging from 250 to 600 lbs depending on the bed size.
- To have noise-free high-quality motors so that your sleep is not disrupted during repositioning.
- To guarantee deep sleep through its enhanced elevations and multi-position
Overall, the best adjustable beds are the ones which satisfy all of your needs. Whether you are looking for the most extravagant features, or you are more modest with your demands and can settle for simple lifts and drops, you can’t go wrong with the choices reviewed here.