If you think adjustable beds are merely meant for hospital rooms, think again! Of course you will find them in their vast majority in hospitals or healthcare institutions, yet still, they are growing in popularity for home use.
Given the present day innovations with regards to the technology of adjustable beds, these products are of high quality and seem quite attractive both with regards to appearance and comfort.
In this sense, especially if you are a couple with different sleeping preferences, you should consider getting an adjustable bed if you can afford it.
What we’ve done here is that we have researched and provided you the top 6 best adjustable beds, which are also among Amazon’s best sellers. In this guide you will also get insights into all you need to know about adjustable beds, their pros and cons, and types before you decide which adjustable bed you will buy:
Table of Contents
- 1 What is an adjustable bed
- 2 Benefits&downsides of adjustable beds
- 3 Types of adjustable beds
- 4 Top 6 Best Adjustable beds 2018
- 4.1 Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape + 2.0 Foundation Style
- 4.2 Reverie 7S™ Adjustable Foundation
- 4.3 Classic Brands Full Adjustable Comfort Bed Base with Wireless Remote
- 4.4 Serta Motion Essentials II
- 4.5 Legget & Platt ShipShape base
- 4.6 PragmaBed Simple Adjust Head and Foot Adjustable Foundation
- 5 Final verdict
What is an adjustable bed
You may have heard people talking about a zero gravity bed or electric bed. This refers to an electric adjustable bed which in simple terms means a bed whose base can be elevated and fixed by means of powered controls so that you reach the preferred position.
The above are some of the functions adjustable beds provide. Of course, you should look for the specifications of each product for more details on what they have to offer.
Benefits&downsides of adjustable beds
There are both benefits and negatives that come with using an adjustable bed base rather than the common traditional mattress. The figure below lists some of these good and bad “side-effects” which we explain further in the following paragraphs.
Types of adjustable beds
If you are wondering which type of material fits best an adjustable bed, we have the answer. A great adjustable bed is one who can elevate the head and foot sections of the bed of up to 70 degrees on average, which means that you are most concern about flexibility and durability. Therefore, you need a bed that will last longer and also is flexible to bend and turn.
Most adjustable beds come with four kinds of mattresses: memory foam, latex foam, traditional innerspring, or air beds. We have delved deeper into each material to see which one performs best when it comes to adjustable beds and why. Here’s what we have come up with.
- Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses are great when you are dealing with pressure and pain. This material can absorb pressure extremely well by evenly spreading the weight across its surface and easily contours to the body of the sleeper.
Having this type of mattress on an adjustable bed means it flexes easily and the user can experience a pain-free comforting feel no matter the position the bed is set upon.
This type of mattress is ideal since they can effectively prevent pain and pressure points. Latex feels different than memory foam, often referred to as buoyant. You can find it in natural and synthetic forms. Natural ones are considered better for your health, while it is best to opt for thinner latex mattresses as these can easily flex to adapt to your preferred position.
Also important is that high quality latex foam is quite durable, which means your mattress will last long.
Most people are familiar with innerspring mattresses, consisting of spring or coils topped with padding and foam. Beware that standard spring mattresses will not be compatible with adjustable bases, although there have been attempts to manufacture them specifically for this sort of use.
Still, spring mattresses are not the best option since they create pressure points, are not as flexible and need to be replaced on a more regular basis than other types of mattresses.
- Air Bed Mattresses
Air bed mattresses can be used on adjustable bases especially if they are enhanced with adjustable pressure systems. These type of beds will have inner air chambers incorporated with an encasement, usually topped by padding or foams.
Nevertheless, the need to flex and bend that comes with an adjustable bed means that the flow of air is impeded. Also, single-chamber systems are potentially really stiff on adjustable bases.
Top 6 Best Adjustable beds 2018
|Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape||split king||Y||284 lbs||Y||25 year||$$$$|
|Reverie 7S||queen||Y||175 lbs||Y||20 Year||$$$|
|Classic Brands||twin xl, full,queen, king||Y||147 lbs||N||3 year||$$|
|Serta Motion Essentials II||queen, king||Y||171 lbs||N||20 Year||$$$|
|Legget & Platt ShipShape base||twin xl, queen||Y||75 lbs||N||25 year||$$$|
|PragmaBed Simple||twin, twin xl, full, queen, king, CA king||N||51 lbs||N||3 year||$|
Below is a brief review of each top rated adjustable bed to help you pick the one which suits you best.
The Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape is an improvement of the trendy platform with Wallhugger Engineering and Dual massage option allowing for individual positioning options.
Here are the features of the Leggett and Platt New Split S-Cape which set it apart from the rest.
If you choose this model then you have settled for a really solid frame thanks to its Twin Base. This is a quality adjustable bed frame which is made of an ironclad strong base that provides firm support to the muscular system while helping it relax to easily snooze. In addition, the mattress comes with an exclusive MicroHook™ retention system which means there is no need for a mattress retainer bar at the foot of your bed.
Two Wireless Remotes:
The Leggett and Platt adjustable bed base, in general, is quite popular and has been used extensively. As far as the S-Cape model, it comes with two wireless remote controls. These can be used to control each of the split king beds independently. In this sense, you can position each bed on the base accordingly (including the Zero Gravity button positioning), which is convenient but also eliminates the risks of damaging either of the beds. In addition, there are two 4-port USB hubs allow you to charge up to eight USB devices from your bed base.
A really cool feature that comes with Legget & Platt adjustable beds, is the under bed LED lighting. Clients who bought these beds state that they found this feature is a great attribute which adds to the experience overall. Indeed, it is definitely an added advantage, especially for senior citizens who dread the ordeal of spring cleaning and are aided by this feature.
Quiet Motor Performance:
You would imagine that using a mechanism like the kind found in an adjustable bed having motors, would cause considerable noise. Think again! One of the best features of the Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape is that it literally makes no sound when you reposition or change a functionality in the bed. This feature means neither partner’s sleep is disrupted when the bed is repositioned.
This model has become particularly favorable due to its dual massage function, which allows having different massage functions simultaneously in the split beds. The manufacturers make use of their Wallhugger technology and the dual massage feature while they have pre-installed custom memory positions.
Each side benefits therefore from the professional massage offered by the Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape which includes therapeutic massage which resolves chiropractic tensions accumulated during a busy day.
The bed base has a great capacity of up to 850 lbs. total maximum weight, and is made of an ultra-quiet motor which can be adjusted to move head or feet accordingly.
The Leggett and Platt S-Cape is made in the USA. You will be happy to hear it is CSA-certified to both UL and CSA-applicable electric motor standards and comes with a 1-2-3 25-year warranty which works as follows:
- 1st year – full warranty
- 2nd and 3rd years – limited warranty
- 4th through the end of the 25th year – limited warranty
- Chiropractic Health: You get a solid base for flawless chiropractic health
- Freedom to control individually: Set up the remotes properly and they will work in silence
- Easy and Spacious set up: Don’t worry about setting up this bed frame. It can be arranged free-of-cost by a professional. The bed is also fitted with wall hugger engineering, which allows for more space in your room.
- Therapeutic: You will definitely benefit from the dual massage function and hopefully, many sleeping disorders can be dealt with effectively this way!
- Extremely quiet when active: This is not your typical electrical appliance which causes unbearable noise, as you will hardly sense the motors when active.
- Heavy bases: The bases of the Legget & Platt New Split S-Cape are super heavy, so you will need help lifting them upon unboxing.
The Reverie 7S™ Adjustable Bed is a favorite option in this category featuring a Bluetooth-enabled adjustable bed with highly advanced properties that will allow your body to rest, sit or meditate in any position of your preference. Plus it relieves lumbar muscles and claims to correct the sleep posture and minimize sleep apnea symptoms.
The Reverie 7S™ has set a high standard when it comes to innovation. It features an optional Bluetooth® Mobile Module which can be controlled by a device which has Bluetooth or via a free app provided during the purchase of the bed base. This allows you to individually control the bed, independent of the remotes.
Customizable massage options:
The Reverie 7S™ is specially built with an ingenious massage system which incorporates 10 customizable intensity options which can be controlled using your Bluetooth device. You can choose to use the message simultaneously for the head, foot or separately for each.
This model includes two Wireless remotes featuring two memory preset programmes called Anti Snore and Zero Gravity which allow saving your favorite relaxing/sleeping posture. Of course, you can also use the remotes for choosing among the 10 intensity levels of the message feature, among others.
Solid Advanced Base:
The Reverie 7S™ includes a mattress which is of medium firmness and relieves pressure points. This model is designed to cater for all sorts of positions and contours to the human body exceptionally. If you choose to buy this combo deal, you will benefit from the ‘101 nights risk-free trial’ of the complete sleep system!
Extremely quiet Motor:
The Reverie 7S™ is designed to facilitate sleep, featuring a flawless quiet motor whatever function you use. Rest assured there will be no disturbance at any point by the Reverie’s motor.
The extremely strong motor in the Reverie 7S™ can quietly and effortlessly lift up to 850 lbs.
The Reverie 7S™ is made in the USA and comes with a white glove delivery service if you choose so, and has a 20 warranty which is hassle-free.
- Compatible with mattresses: You can choose to use the exclusive Dreams and Dream Supreme mattresses.
- Durability and reliability: The Reverie consists of durable steel and comes with an ironclad 20-Year Warranty, making it a highly reliable product.
- Therapeutic: This product deals exceptionally well with spinal adjustment, rest and contour.
- Independence: With the wireless remote controls and the Bluetooth functionality in the bed base you can choose your preferred position and relax without having to move from your bed!
- Conforms to your needs and adds a layer of comfort: Similar to all Reverie beds, the 7S comes with 4-corner container bars which prevent sliding of the mattress while contouring to the natural curves of the body.
- Hefty: This high-end product is rather heavy, and therefore you will need assistance lifting it and moving it around.
- One Remote: Customers state that having two remotes for this adjustable bed would be great, which for the time being only offers two in a King size!
The Adjustable Comfort Bed Base by Classic Brands is one of the most popular choices incorporating lots of cool features which make it excellent for your master bedroom.
The Classic Brands Bed Base includes a wireless remote with preset positions that automatically change to meet your needs. Apart from the wireless remote, the bed base comes with 2 USB charging ports for your portable devices.
Sleek and supportive design:
The bed base created by Classic Brands has a sleek design with a contemporary feel and makes for a perfect support system with its mattress bar and overall construction so that the mattress does not slip. Also, the Classic Brands Bed Base comes with 6 legs exceeding the usual industry standards of 4. The bed frameworks with memory foam and latex mattresses, or if you have a spring mattress that is adjustable bed friendly.
Zero gravity position:
The Zero Gravity Preset position is pre-programmed in the Classic Brands Bed Base. It means that when in this position, your body feels the least amount of pressure, similar to when being in space. Sleeping in bed to a position where there is less gravity, means less pressure and ultimately hopefully undisturbed and more restful sleep.
The best feature of this adjustable bed is how you can adjust the upper and lower parts of the base according to your needs with the wireless remote control. Using the massage feature adds a layer of luxury and comfort.
If you suffer from any sleep-related condition, you will highly benefit from this model. In particular, it reduces back pain and enhances blood pressure.
The Classic Brands Bed Base is specially designed to help you relax after a long day by watching TV, read or work on your computer while lying on your bed.
This model can lift up to 1000lbs of maximum distributed weight for Full and Queen.
The Classic Brands is manufactured in the US and comes with a 3-year warranty. It ships to your door via FED-EX or UPS at your expenses.
- Functional design: The Classic Brands Bed Base has a platform design but is suitable for use with most traditional bed frames.
- Health benefits: Reduces back pain and enhances blood pressure. The model also helps with sleep apnea, heartburn, acid reflux or GERD.
- Relaxation – lifestyle benefits: This model performs well for relaxation purposes.
- Easily assembled: The Classic Brands Bed Base requires a minimal amount of assembly, so it is easy to handle and will not trouble you much.
- Does not come with a mattress: You must buy your own mattress and add it to the bed, which means an extra cost.
The Serta are well known for their affordable luxury mattresses being in the industry for over 80 years. Nevertheless, they can make good bed frames, as well as the Serta Motion Essentials II model, proves. The multi-featured adjustable bed is popular thanks to its effective therapeutic effects and relaxing benefits.
Smooth Multi-Adjustable Power Lifting Frame:
The Serta allows the user to control the elevation of the motor at the hydraulic head and foot concurrently with its Smooth Power™ Lifting System. The high-quality system increases the powerlifting speed while it puts you to sleep and also permits remote function without much effort.
The base has an anti-movement bar for mattresses to stay intact with the base, and also allows casters or headboard brackets at an extra cost.
Strong Metal Sidebar:
The sturdiness of the frame is key in an adjustable bed. The Serta Motion is equipped with an additional metal sidebar, which both supports the mattress and prevents it from slipping down.
No Assembly required for Setup:
The Serta Motion ships in one-piece, so you don’t need to worry about assembling and set up. The product is assembled at the factory and thus you can install it in an hour.
The Motion Essentials II comes with an ability to lift up to 650 lbs at once.
This model is made in the USA and costs cheaper(see cheap mattresses here) to buy compared to its competitors due to its basic 4 button wired remote and a decision to exclude fancy extras like Bluetooth and massage modules. The product comes with the standard Manufacturer’s 1-3-20 Limited Warranty.
- Works just as described: Based on the customer reviews and feedback, it seems that every bit of what the creators promise as far as specifications and packaging work.
- Efficient installation: Since the product is assembled in the factory and shipped as the one-piece, the setup installation will take no more than an hour!
- Comfortable and peaceful: There are no loud noises of the motor, active or inactive, unlike other bed frames for this amount of money.
- Therapeutic sleep at an affordable price: The bed features sturdy elevations and enhanced sleeping posture at a great price.
- Compatible with most Queen Size mattresses: The Serta Motion can fit any queen size mattress on its frame, unlike other beds which do not adhere to universal mattress size standards.
- Heavy for a single person: The frame appears heavy for one to lift so you must have assistance shifting it.
- High Legs Low Sidebar: Some customers complain that the product had a very low sidebar. If so, you can consider affordable accessories and adjustments Serta offers, by calling their customer care to help you resolve this issue immediately!
Overview: This Legget & Platt product, looks like a standard adjustable bed yet it is installed with high-end features. As its name reveals, the Legget & Pratt ShipShape features a revolutionizing ShipShape design, however, it also has whisper quiet motors and a customizable base to allow different levels of comfort.
The ShipShape base is renowned for its excellent angular support which is perfect for spine alignment, while it can relieve joint stiffness and sleep posture problems.
The base is customizable, so you can adjust it to your needs, however, it is programmed in general to provide the best for the user, whether it is flexible flat or leveled, zero gravity and recline positioning.
The base comes in Multi-Range Head and Foot Elevations and is also USB Shippable. This means the ShipShape base is a sought-after portable choice bed as well!
Wired Remote Control:
This model features a wired remote control (it is expected that it will be upgraded in the near future to suit wireless preferences) with pushback buttons and ability to individually control the multiple positioning functions of the bed from a distance.
The motors in this model by L&P are specially designed to function in whisper quiet decibels, regardless if it’s day or night. This sound-free attribute means you will never disturb your partner in case you want to change position in the middle of the night.
There is even an emergency backup implemented in these motors to flat position in 30 minutes when there is sudden power off for instance.
Free Shipping & Easy Assembly:
The ShipShape model is delivered to your doorstep free of charge unlike other companies do. The delivery does not include installation, yet the product is completely assembled in the factory and comes with tutorial DVDs so you won’t have trouble setting it up.
The Legget & Platt ShipShape can lift an adequate 425 lbs through its dual motor whisper quiet mechanism controlled by a basic wired remote.
The Legget & Platt ShipShape is the USA made and features an amazing 20 years warranty.
- Durable: The ultra-flexible base in the ShipShape is strong and sturdy so it can handle a long use day and night, and it is considered to be durable, which shows in its 20-Year Warranty.
- Conforming: The ShipShape base is thought to be one of the best bases that naturally contour to the body’s curves and lines. It can even facilitate the right posture of the users.
- Therapeutic: Besides sleep posture corrections, the ShipShape base is also perfect for therapeutic benefits to sleep disorders and backaches, through its elevation of head and foot at even levels.
- Peaceful: One thing you certainly shouldn’t worry about with this product is noise. The whisper quiet motor works in silence and you can hardly hear it, whether its day or night.
- Effortless assembly: Assembling the ShipShape is a piece of cake since the product is factory assembled and can easily be handled by a single person.
- Portable: The ShipShape base is built to be easily transferred from one place to the other so this makes highly portable.
- Hefty: Although assembly is easy, you should consider asking for an extra set of hands or two to lift and shift the product, since it is quite heavy.
- Height: Several customers complain that castors in the ShipShape are of improper heights, although there is the option of choosing one of those castors (4”-7”) to fix the height just right for you.
- No extravagant features: There is no Wallhugger technology in this model like others in Legget & Platt’s adjustable beds series. Nor you will find a massage or programmable memory positions, however, still, it is worth every dollar.
Overview: Although being a standard adjustable base, the PragmaBed Simple Adjust Head and Foot Adjustable Foundation is a popular choice featuring high-end technology with its noise-free motors, multiple positioning functions and ability to elevate the body to reach therapeutic levels.
The Pragma Adjustable Bed base is made of Heavy-duty steel, which is literally ironclad. This sturdy construction provides the support you need for your mattress and also contours well to the body’s natural curves. In addition, the solid foundation minimizes the risk of accidents and makes the product durable.
The gauge of the frame is standard metal and enhances the good foundation overall. Due to its construction, the PragmaBed base is lightweight and therefore portable too.
Easy and Negligible Assembly:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed base requires negligible work to assemble as it is assembled at the factory and only takes a few minutes once unpacked to have it all set up. The frame unfolds to full size when opened.
In addition, the product is quite compact so you can fit it pretty much everywhere.
Safety Coat/ Resistance against Mites and Bugs:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed base comes with a unique coating which is hypoallergenic and hence will keep bugs and miles away. The coating also guarantees resistance to corrosion, which enhances the product’s durability.
The powder coating is also lucrative and can be adjusted accordingly when you set up the bed. This safety feature is unique to Pragma Adjustable Bed and serves for hygiene purposes!
Carefully engineered elevations:
It may seem like the Pragma Adjustable Bed has a basic structure, yet it has been engineered carefully to allow for therapeutic elevations to relieve different aches.
The bed provides 800 angle for the head and 300 angles for the foot. These elevations and multi-functions result from scientifically proven theories on accelerated deep sleep mechanisms and sleep posture corrections.
Under-bed Storage Space:
The Pragma Adjustable Bed provides ample of under-bed storage space by not compromising to under-bed lights, which take away of quality space.
The Pragma Adjustable Bed supports up to 1200lbs. of distributed weight in TWIN and TWIN XL sizes and an amazing 2400lbs. distributed weight in its FULL, QUEEN, KING, or CAL KING sizes!
Pragma Adjustable Bed is manufactured in China. It offers excellent US-based customer support though. The product comes with 3-Year Plus warranty and is quite reliable, so no need to worry it will break down or disappoint.
- Works Just as Described: Everything advertised about the Pragma Adjustable bed is precise and accurate.
- Therapeutic: The Pragma Adjustable Bed have therapeutic benefits with their multi-function angles and elevations.
- Portable: The Pragma Adjustable bed frame is extremely light and foldable, which is a great advantage as it makes it easy to lift and shift for cleaning or re-positioning.
- Affordable: This model targets everyday people who seek luxury and relaxation at an affordable price.
- Basic Model: There is not much room for upgrades and functions with this basic model, so be certain to be pleased with what you get.
- Accident Prone: The arms and locks of this adjustable bed should fall exactly into place which means that the confirmation click is heard, otherwise you risk falling off the bed!
In this post, we researched among different adjustable beds that have high ratings on Amazon and concluded of which are the best 6 adjustable beds that are set apart from the bunch. Our verdict is based on some general rules and criteria which we summarize here:
Key requirements for a quality adjustable bed:
- To allow adjustment of up to 60 degrees in head angle and 45 degrees in foot angle.
- To hold sufficient weight ranging from 250 to 600 lbs depending on the bed size.
- To have noise-free high-quality motors so that your sleep is not disrupted during any repositioning.
- To guarantee deep sleep through its enhanced elevations and multi-position
Overall, the best adjustable beds are the ones which satisfy all of your needs. Whether you are looking for the most extravagant features, or you are more modest with your demands and can settle for simply lifts and drops, you can’t go wrong with the choices reviewed here.
The following table sums up our top picks. Feel free to share your comments and share.