Among all the items in your bedroom, the mattress is probably the most ignored. People look for good quality furniture, bed sets, and other accessories, but when the point comes to purchase a mattress, they simply buy the one they can easily find.
But what if we tell you that your mattress is the one item that should get the most attention? Why? The reason is quite obvious, and it is for the sake of your health. A good quality, comfortable, and medically proven mattress can help give you a perfect night’s sleep and can have a positive impact on your overall health.
We are going to discuss one important type of mattress, which is the latex mattress. What this? A milky white fluid that is obtained from different plants. The substance that is used in mattress manufacturing, and is taken from the rubber tree. This fluid, when exposed to air, coagulates and forms a solid type of material. This solid material is then used in mattress making.
There are different varieties of latex mattress, and it can be difficult to choose the right type for you. That’s why we are going to discuss different types, their reviews, and guidelines used to assist you in purchasing the right one.
Table of Contents
- 1 Latex mattress buying guide
- 1.1 What are the different types of latex regarding their manufacturing?
- 1.2 What are differences between natural and synthetic ? Should I buy synthetic?
- 1.3 What are the significant pros and cons of latex material?
- 1.4 What are basic points to think before choosing a right latex mattress?
- 2 Top 7 Best Latex Mattresses Reviews 2018
- 3 Wrap-up
Latex mattress buying guide
What points do you consider before purchasing a mattress? Do you investigate them thoroughly, or do you merely look at price tags and appearance? If you are unaware of the worth of considering the finer points of the latex mattress, this section will be tremendously helpful to you.
What are the different types of latex regarding their manufacturing?
There are basically two types of latex regarding the method of their manufacturing. These types are Talalay and Dunlop. Both types involve the same methods, with slight variations. The benefits such as long-life, minor off-gassing, and durability are same for both types. However, differences lie in these points:
- Talalay foam is bouncy while Dunlop is springy
- Talalay foam is slightly less dense as compared to Dunlop
- The manufacturing procedure of Dunlop is energy efficient and simpler, as compared to Talalay foam
- Suggest reading: Mattress buying guide
What are differences between natural and synthetic ? Should I buy synthetic?
Basically, synthetic depicts similar physical properties such as that of nature. But, the manufacturing of synthetic involves utilizing petrochemicals that are used to create alternatives to the natural product. Styrene-butadiene rubber is highly common among synthetic, and is manufactured to be used as a low-priced alternative to natural ones. Though the physical properties might appear similar, you should be aware of few drawbacks that synthetic has when compared to natural.
- Synthetic might tear more as compared to natural
- It doesn’t contain any type of certification that is possessed by natural ones
- It may produce strong of gases
- It is significantly less durable as compared to natural ones
However, if you cannot afford natural one, and want to get something as amazing as it, blended latex may be an option for you. These types of beds are manufactured by blending the attributes of both synthetic and natural one.
One point worth mentioning in regard to blended or synthetic mattresses is the amount of natural latex present in the product. Usually, sellers misguide customers regarding the amount of natural one present in their mattresses. One should check this point thoroughly before making a final decision.
What are the significant pros and cons of latex material?
As every product comes with many pros, and few cons as well, the same is the case with latex mattresses. Following are the pros and cons :
After reading about latex material, you might have gotten a clear idea about the numerous benefits of using this material in mattresses. However, there are few pros worth mentioning:
- It is one of the most durable materials available in the mattress. It can last for years and years without showing any damage.
- Eco-friendly and can be made naturally without involving chemical procedures.
- It greatly helps in reducing back pains and other chronic pains.
- It is one of the best movement absorbers. It can assist significantly in absorbing movements produced by your partner during sleeping.
Before purchasing a latex bed, it is very important to be aware of drawbacks that this kind of materials might bring with it. Here are few cons:
- In the beginning days of using a new mattress, it might feel too firm, causing discomfort. However, firmness is reduced after a few days.
- With synthetic, there may be compression over time. Therefore, if you are going to put a heavy weight on your mattress for longer periods of time, you should consider purchasing blended or natural one.
- If you want to get pure natural one, you will have to pay a large amount, as it is an expensive material.
- It is heavy in weight. This drawback is particularly significant for those whose job involves moving them frequently.
What are basic points to think before choosing a right latex mattress?
Here are few points you should check before purchasing it.
Latex combined with other materials
You will see many mattresses that will use latex along with other materials such as innerspring, polyurethane foam, memory foam, or combinations of other foams. If you are confused about purchasing pure one or a combined one, then let us tell you, getting natural pure one is more appropriate as compared to these combinations. If natural latex is not an option, it is better to choose either a synthetic or a blend of the two materials.
As latex mattresses come in varieties of firmness, it is critical to choose the right amount of firmness for you. It is more suitable to test it for its firmness before purchasing it. If you are purchasing it online, read the reviews carefully.
Many latex mattresses have small pinholes on it throughout. The purpose of the pinholes is to offer proper air flow, keeping it dry and clean. Pinholes also assist in tuning mattress in a fine way. Besides the material, pinholes also play quite a significant role in determining the firmness. Their number, arrangement, and size can affect the firmness.
Latex mattresses with multiple layers
Nowadays, many of them are also available in multiple layers. These layers help in adjusting firmness easily, with the different layers of different firmness being held together inside the cover. You can choose single or multiple layered mattresses depending upon your personal choice, but typically, people prefer multiple-layered.
Warranty and certification
Before purchasing latex materials, it is very important to check the warranty and certification of your mattress. As it is an expensive material as compared to other products, it is very important to get an adequate warranty. Also, if your seller is offering an appropriate warranty, it means they are taking responsibility for their product, making it a reliable choice.
Besides a warranty, certifications ensure it to be safe for human use. Check for different international level certifications before purchasing one for you or your family.
Top 7 Best Latex Mattresses Reviews 2018
|Short Reviews||Material||Best for||Height||Firmness||Price|
|PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Latex Mattress||Pure Talalay Latex + organic cotton||Back/Stomach sleeper&Allergy sufferers||10″||Medium/medium firm||$$$|
|Spindle||Natural Dunlop Latex||All sleeping position&Allergy sufferers||10″||Medium/firm/soft/extra firm||$$$|
|Dreamfoam Bedding Queen DreamsLatex Mattress||Bamboo-Derived Rayon||All sleeping position||10″||Ultra plush/plush/cushion firm/firm||$$|
|LUCID Plush Memory Foam and Latex Mattress||Bamboo Charcoal + Natural Latex||Side sleeper||16″||Plush||$$|
|Dreamfoam Bedding Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress||Biodegradable bamboo + Latex||Side sleeper||10″||Plush||$$|
|Eco Terra Luxury Latex Mattress||Natural Latex and Organic Cotton||Back/Stomach sleeper||11″||Medium/medium firm||$$|
|Roma Natural Latex Mattress||Natural Dunlop Latex + Organic Cotton||Most people||9″||Double sided(soft/firm)||$$|
- You may also interested: Top 10 best mattresses 2018
PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Latex Mattress
This PlushBeds mattress is queen-sized with a 10-inch thickness. It contains medium firmness and is manufactured from pure organic latex and has an organic cotton cover. This mattress is GOLS, GOTS, USDA, OEKO-TEX, and GreenGuard Gold Certified. It comes with a 30-day free trial and a 25-year limited warranty.
This Botanical Bliss Latex Mattress is manufactured by PlushBeds. The most distinguished attribute is that it is manufactured from pure materials. The core foam is made using 100% natural Talalay latex. The knitted cover is made up of pure organic cotton. Utilization of pure materials makes it perfectly safe for each member of your family.
Another feature of this mattress worth mentioning is its three layers of different firmness. The latex material used in each layer is calibrated to offer a different level of firmness. You can simply rearrange these layers according to your choice. Because of this amazing feature, it can offer six different levels of firmness, all within a single package.
The different layers of come with a user-friendly and simple adjustment. You can simply unzip it to rearrange the layers. Because of this feature, you can stay safe from using chemical glue as a binding material. Being certified as a high quality of standards, this might be one of the best options for you.
- They use Organic Dunlop Latex.
- It might be a completely safe mattress option for you because of its pure material.
- You can adjust its firmness and comfort easily through rearranging its different layers.
- It is a good option for allergy sufferers as its material is purely hypoallergenic.
- Having different firmness makes it suitable for side sleepers, as well as for back and stomach sleepers.
- 25 years warranty and 5-star ratings on Amazon
- High price compared with other choices
- Only 10 inches high
You might have come across many remarkable mattress designs, but you have not come across a bed like the Spindle mattress. It is a new product that is transforming the sleeping experience for many Americans. It is designed to meet your individual requirements.
- Three separate 3-inch Dunlop latex layers
- High performing organic cotton cover, which is bleach, pigments, and pesticides free
- Natural latex used is three times durable and four times breathable compared to memory foam
- True latex feel is maintained with the unique circular knit
- The natural materials are well ventilated for superior airflow and breathability
- Four firmness options for your convenience (soft, medium, firm, or extra-firm)
- Firmness calculator allows you to customize your desired feel
- The natural elasticity of the latex delivers advanced motion transfer
- Up to 365 nights for comfort adjustment depending on your preference
- Comfort life program saves you 30% when replacing your latex layers
- Limited warranty of 10 years
- Free shipping to the lower 48 States
This brand and this specific configuration are still new on the market, but they have gained a lot of popularity. It comes with unmatched construction when you consider the materials and the double stitching that seems to be very well-made.
A feature unique to the Spindle mattress is the ability to put it together yourself. When you make an order, you will receive four packages; three with the three separate layers and one with the organic cotton zippered case.
Spindle offers you a whole new experience. Assembling is remarkably easy because there are clear instructions on how to install the bed. You just have to open the case and strategically arrange the layers, starting with the bottom followed by the medium and the top layers.
What you are probably wondering about is who should try the Spindle bed. This is a suitable choice for anybody who likes the feeling of latex. With this mattress, you have the chance to experience the numerous benefits of latex and organic cotton.
With Spindle, you will never compromise on quality. You have a whole year to make comfort adjustments. You can always return the mattress, if you are not satisfied within the 365 trial period. You also get a friendly price range, free shipping, good returns, and a reliable warranty.
- All natural Dunlop latex comes with long-lasting durability
- You get a customized firmness feel
- Multiple firmness options for preference (soft, medium, firm, and extra-firm)
- Comfortable and odor free organic cotton cover
- Superior motion transfer
- Not a good choice for people weighing more than 200 pounds.
- Price is high
Dreamfoam Bedding Queen Dreams Latex Mattress
This product in our collection of best latex mattresses comes in queen size. It is produced by Dreamfoam Bedding, a manufacturing company in the USA. The cover is made of a bamboo material, and firmness can be selected according to the customer’s choice.
Since it is manufactured in the USA, therefore, its quality meets all the standards that are found in USA products. This 10” latex mattress comes with a bamboo cover.
The latex used in the production of this product is Talalay, along with a base foam of high density. This feature assists in contouring to your body shape, offering orthopedic maintenance and pressure relief.
The cover is made from pure biodegradable bamboo fiber along with 1.5 inches of highly soft reflex foam. Though it is softer than cotton, it offers amazing moisture absorbance to allow for moisture free, comfortable sleep.
The latex material offers mild support that decreases high-pressure regions to close the flow of capillary blood. This assists in increasing pressure and bringing oxygen to muscles.
It is made with Talalay latex, making it hypoallergenic and breathable. Additionally, you can purchase it with the comfort level of your choice.
- Because of the high density of this mattress, it may offer great back support
- Because of its thick convoluted base, it might offer great airflow during sleep.
- With the help of its biodegradable bamboo fiber cover, it can give amazing moisture absorbance and a dry sleeping experience.
- It may be a great option for comfortable sleep because of the soft compliant support.
- It is a good option for allergy sufferers because of its Talalay Latex make-up.
- You will need to select the firmness carefully, as it might feel firmer than your expectation.
- As it is not double-sided, you can’t flip it.
LUCID Plush Memory Foam and Latex Mattress
Lucid comes in king size, and has a 25-year warranty. It contains four layers of different comforting material. The memory foam utilized in this mattress manufacturing is CertiPUR-US certified.
This product is a Plush Memory Foam and Latex Mattress(hybrid). It is manufactured by LUCID. It comes with the super comfortable thickness of 16 inches, and is made up of four different layers. Its first layer is made up of a one-inch bamboo charcoal memory foam layer, which is a perfect choice for sensitive skin, and offers great thermal regulation.
The second layer is manufactured with three inches of soft and light memory foam. The third layer is manufactured with a natural latex that adds comfort to this mattress. Their amazon combination gives perfect orthopedic support to your body. The next layer is manufactured with two inches of natural latex, and a cozy Tencel Blend fabric cover gives extra breathability.
Moreover, it comes with open cell technology that protects your body from leaving long-lasting marks. This mattress is made with all-natural materials that are free from phthalates, ozone depletes, CFCs, mercury, PBDEs, and formaldehyde.
It is quite easy to set up, and the memory foam utilized in it is CertiPUR-USA certified, making it safe for the environment and your health.
- With the help of its 16” thickness, this mattress offers great support and comfort.
- It may maintain good indoor quality because of its pure and chemical free materials.
- You might find setting up job quite easy.
- It might be a great option for those experiencing back and shoulder pain due to their combination.
- Because of its extremely soft upper layer, it may make you feel like you’re sinking into
- You might feel it getting hotter while sleeping.
Dreamfoam Bedding Queen Eurotop Latex Mattress
Dream foam comes in queen size. Its thickness is 12 inches with the zipper cover. The firmness of can be adjusted according to your choice. Talalay latex is used in its manufacturing along with a base foam of high density.
This product is another product of Dreamfoam Bedding. It is manufactured in the USA, and is, therefore, a high-quality brand. This 12-inch thickness with a zipper cover Eurotop to assist you in adding the latex density of your choice. It also helps in the easy cleaning of the mattress by the removal of its cover.
Another good thing about this mattress is its customizable firmness. You can select the firmness according to your personal choice. It comes with a three inch thick Talalay Latex that control each curve of your body, providing perfect orthopedic support along with pressure relief.
And it also possesses a layered bamboo cover made up of pure biodegradable bamboo fiber, along with 1.5 inches of great soft reflex foam. It also comes with eight inches thick convoluted base foam. With its high density, it offers elevated airflow and comfort. You can enjoy with hypoallergenic and breathable features because of its Talalay latex. The most distinguishing feature among all mattresses, is its great adjustability. You can change its firmness and density according to your requirements.
- It is a great option for allergy sufferers because of its Talalay latex material.
- Its adjustable firmness feature can help assist you in getting a mattress of required comfort.
- Because of its zipper cover, you can easily change it when needed.
- It might be a good option for you because of its adjustable latex layer that can be changed by changing its density.
- You might feel hot during sleep.
- Among the variety of firmness, you might need to take extra care while selecting firmness according to your weight, as firmness responds differently for people of different weight.
Eco Terra Luxury Latex Mattress
This is a queen size mattress with medium firmness on our best latex mattress list. It is manufactured by using one hundred percent pure Latex, along with fabric encased coils. The materials used in its making are purely natural and organic, and includes organic cotton in addition to the natural latex. It is GOTS certified.
This Luxury Latex Mattress is manufactured by Eco Terra, and as the name of brand depicts, it is made up of purely natural materials. The manufacturing material utilized in its production is one hundred percent natural latex. It is an 11-inch thick mattress with the standard queen size. Because it is pure latex, it offers great resilience and optimism. It also assists in reducing feelings of restlessness because it has resistance to your pressure points.
It comes with isolated fabric-encased coils that offer great support, uplifting, and flawless alignment. It comes with a medium firmness that can adjust perfectly for the majority of sleepers, without being too soft or firm for anyone. As its firmness rated 5.5 out of 10, it offers a well-balanced firmness, along with support, and the natural latex reduces the disturbance that might be produced from your partners’ movement.
It also comes with charming pinstripe layered organic cotton fabric cover, that enhances its breathability. Besides providing support and comfort, its coils also act as a disturbance absorber that might be produced by frequent movements. All materials used are free of chemicals and harsh dyes, allowing this mattress to meet GOTS quality standards.
- You may feel zero disturbances while sleeping on this mattress because of its fabric encased coils.
- It might feel super comfortable for you because of its organic cotton fabric.
- You might feel good because it is odor free.
- Because of its well-established firmness, you might feel well supported regardless of your position.
- It might feel quite easy to set it up
- It might feel slightly firm for side sleepers.
- It might not be a good option for those who need a soft option.
Roma Natural Latex Mattress
This mattress is manufactured from purely natural Dunlop latex, and has an organ cotton cover. It is 9 inches thick and comes with full refund guarantee and a 10-year warranty.
Manufactured by one of the oldest mattress manufacturers in the industry. It is made by SLEEP EZ, who has been manufacturing mattresses for more than 40 years.
The most distinguished feature is its two-in-one technology regarding its firmness. It comes with 9-inch thickness with two sides, one being soft and other being adequately firm. In this way, it can give its users both comfort and great support. Furthermore, it can be used for both side sleepers and back sleepers.
Another feature worth mentioning is that its high-quality pure materials are the Certi-PUR USA certified. Having pure and chemical free materials makes it suitable for anyone, including your babies.
It also comes with fire barriers through rayon extracted from bamboo. Its material is also hypoallergenic, anti-bacterial, and mold/mildew resistant.
- You can easily convert it according to your support or comfort requirements.
- It is free of harsh chemicals.
- Designed with pure and top-quality materials
- It might be a good choice for allergy sufferers because of its hypoallergenic
- It might be unnecessarily softer for heavy people, and lack enough support for them.
Your mattress is very important, and can have a direct effect on your health. It is the place where you sleep, and your bed decides whether you will have a good night’s sleep, or a restless one.
It is important to consider all the factors when choosing a new mattress for yourself or a family member.
A good mattress will allow for comfortable sleep, along with adequate support, allowing you to awake free of pain and refreshed. There are numerous factors that decide the quality and performance of your bed. It is important to know them all before purchasing.
Different products mentioned offering amazing features, while each only having few cons. If we are asked to choose the best among them, my pick would be the Plush Beds Botanical Bliss Latex Mattress (if we forget about the price). It has pure and quality material, and also offers great adjustability for firmness. Furthermore, it is user-friendly, easy to use, chemical-free, and possesses certified materials.