There is no justifiable reason to sleep on an old, sagging mattress when cheap mattresses are readily available. Old mattresses are associated with several health problems. Finding a mattress that is durable and offers great support shouldn’t make you break the bank.
When to Purchase an Inexpensive Mattress
It is well established that through the year, there are certain ideal times to buy inexpensive mattresses. The tantalizing and tempting sales begin in late November in time for Thanksgiving. Bargains come on the big day – Thanksgiving Day itself and Black Friday. After that, there are several weeks of adverts that promise great deals on everything that you could desire to purchase. Eventually, post-Christmas sales wash down the huge discounts.
January, which presents ‘White sales’, is a period of highly discounted sales for items related to bedding such as duvets, bedspreads, furniture, towels, sheets, mattresses etc. In May, mattresses are normally marked down in various showrooms.
It is prudent to purchase a mattress close to a holiday – like Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, and the Presidents Day. Over the President’s Day weekend, retailers offer discounts of up to 10-25%.
The aforementioned holidays or periods of the year are indeed the ‘’cheapest’’ time to buy a mattress.
Expensive Mattresses Are Better! Is It True?
Not necessarily … Often, higher prices do not mean or guarantee better sleep. Nonetheless, many more costly mattresses are of not only excellent quality, but they also feature the latest sleep technology to offer a relaxing and comforting night’s sleep. At times, a mattress might be expensive not because of its quality but because you are paying for a popular brand name.
Fortunately, today, many mattress manufacturers or companies are providing more affordable options while maintaining comfort, durability, and great support.
Strategies to Purchase an Affordable Mattress Online
What? Purchase a mattress on the internet? Most of the big mattress-in-box firms such as Tuft & Needle, Purple, Nectar, Leesa, Layla, and Casper operate on a similar principle – you order a mattress, the company ships it to your door and you try it for a set period. If you do not like it, you return it for a refund. A 100-day period set by certain companies is reasonable because according to Live and Sleep, a mattress maker, it can take around eight weeks for your body to adjust fully to a new sleeping surface. Layla and Nectar offer longer trial periods of 120 days and 365 days respectively.
From firmness, material and even your sleep preference, you have to consider some factors when shopping for a cheap mattress in the digital world. Here are some of the most important factors:
- Material – Different mattress materials exist.
- Firmness – Firmness levels are normally subjective. At the end of the day, what matters the most is that you crawl into a bed that feels comfortable.
- Budget – Since you are limited on budget, it is prudent to settle for innerspring mattresses as they are not only popular but also the most affordable.
- Return policies and charges – Of great importance to note is that online mattress seller’s charger lower return and refund fees compared to brick-and-mortar stores. Most direct-to-consumer firms do not charge anything to remove your mattress as-is from your residence and transport it.
- Delivery – While some mattress manufacturers provide full-service delivery on their mattresses, others limit this service strictly to front-door delivery. Full-service delivery can include transporting a mattress into your house and assembling it.
- Trial period – As indicated before, different mattress companies provide different trial periods. If a mattress does not satisfy your needs once the trial period lapses, you are at liberty to return it for a full refund at no extra charges.
- Additional charges – Often, buying an inexpensive mattress online does not attract any state sales tax or delivery fees. However, to be on the safe side, it is prudent to pass through the fine print just in case.
- Warranty – Check out this video to learn more about mattress warranties.
Low-priced Mattresses are Best Suited for?
The following are some of the parties that should consider buying a cheap mattress under 500:
Apartment and dorm mattresses are popular for their low quality yet getting good sleep as a student is very important. Students must get good sleep for these reasons. Students that do not get adequate sleep have high risks for many behaviors and health problems. According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, students aged 6-12 years need to sleep regularly for 9-12 hours every 24 hours while those aged 13-18 years must sleep 8-10 hours every 24 hours.
Do you often have family or friends staying over occasionally? Although they come once in a while, you need them to enjoy comfortable sleep while at your place. Since they are not frequent visitors, it would not be wise to spend thousands of dollars on a mattress that will be used intermittently. One that is below $500 is an excellent choice for your guest bedroom.
Kids out-grow things quickly. Mattresses are not an exception. Buy buying a quality low-cost mattress for your kids; they will enjoy a comfortable night sleep without having to worry that their mattress might be used for just a couple of years. There are many affordable twin mattresses available for under 500.
What Should I Expect from a Mattress under 500
Your guess is as good as mine – a mattress under 500 is not made of the most luxurious or premium materials on the market. Nevertheless, this does not mean that it is impossible for land a mattress that meets your requirements for support and comfort. Some of the things you can expect from a low-priced mattress include:
- Synthetic materials – Compared to natural materials, synthetic materials are usually less expensive. Memory foam otherwise known as synthetic materials, present in cheaper mattresses is comfortable and highly supportive. They relieve pressure points and promote healthy spinal alignment, which translates to fewer pains and aches as well as restful sleep throughout the day/night. Another good highly of memory foam is the fact that it is hypoallergenic. The only potential drawback is that it is less breathable compared to other materials.
- A little bit of off-gassing – Some, both cheap and expensive, release a chemical odor when removed from the box because of synthetic fo. Since most mattresses under 500 are made of synthetic foam, it is common for them to have this effect. The good thing is that the odor is harmless and temporary, but somewhat unpleasant.
- Warranty protection – Most cheap mattresses have similar warranties to the expensive ones. Many companies offer a trial period for their mattresses.
- 2-3 layers – Although mattresses have different types or levels of layers, the most important ones are the support and comfort layers. The latter is on top and softer while the former are dense and form the foundation or base of the mattress. Typically, cheaper mattresses have 1-2 comfort layers coupled with a support layer. Some have one support layer, one transition layer and one comfort layer. The transition layer is slightly denser foam.
- Foam – Cheaper mattresses are normally composed of foam. Latex, gel foam, and memory foam are durable and supportive. Unlike innerspring mattresses, they adjust to all our curves and form-fit to your body. Being disturbed by the changing positions of your partner is the last thing you will have to worry about.
15 Best Mattress Under 500 We Recommend
Dynasty Mattress is one of the most reputable mattress sellers in the country. Their CertiPUR-US® certified memory foam mattresses are some of the best in the industry. The company’s generous 30-year warranty is top of the reasons why you need to buy this mattress. Most companies provide warranties of around 10-15 years. It is rare to find a mattress firm providing 20 or 30 years of warranty.
Overall, this mattress contains four layers inside. It stands 12 inches tall. In terms of feel, it is rated as a medium-firm bed. Its 3-inches of gel memory foam perfectly contours to your body as well as maintains cool temperature when you sleep. The following two layers are 2’’ of convoluted AirFlow foam. The foam is tailored to provide improved pressure relief and enable you to compress on the bed. On top of that, its layers are in egg-crate shape to allow for efficient airflow out and in the mattress. At the base, there is a 5-inch high-density foam foundation to not only prevent premature deterioration but also offer the bed additional support.
- 30-year limited warranty
- Multiple layers for increased comfort
- Durable construction
- Complimentary pillow included
- Excellent heat transfer capabilities
- Slight initial off-gassing
Who said you cannot experience a luxurious resort-type sleep on a cheap mattress? Feel like you are on a vacation with this mattress whose cost is below $500. The fact that it is durable and comfortable makes it grab the second spot on this list. It is a premium-cooling mattress that offers you the incredible stability and support of memory foam devoid of increased temperature. The mattress features two layers of high-quality foam. The top layer is 2.5’’ Visco memory foam while the second one is additional thick 7.5’’ high-density support core foam to make a total of 10 inches.
You can get this mattress in the following sizes all under 500 dollars:
- California King
- Short/RV Queen
- Twin XL
It is CertiPUR-US certified. In terms of firmness and comfort, it is an excellent choice if you have been looking for a mattress that offers plush comfort and pain relief. When it comes to firmness level, it stands at medium-to-medium-firm making it a good option if you do not want something too hard or too soft.
What about longevity and durability? Without a doubt, durability is one of the strongest highlights of this mattress. It boasts the best workmanship and materials that will last for several years to come. Just to prove it, the manufacturer issues an impressive 20-year warranty with all purchases.
- Cool sleep even in regions with high humidity
- Minimal motion transfer
- Durable construction
- Might be too firm for some users
Tuft & Needle is a popular manufacturer of mattresses. Mattresses from this USA manufacturer are luxurious, yet offered at an affordable price. The mattress is made of two layers of high-quality polyurethane foam. Its material combination makes it durable and comfortable. Again, it comes free of chemicals and chemical smells and heavy metals.
The top layer is 3 inches, while the bottom layer is 7 inches. The full and Twin options are your option when you are shopping for a mattress of less than $500. It is excellent in distributing your body weight for maximum comfort. You get a 100-night trial period with the purchase of this mattress. Each piece is CertiPUR-US certified, showing that it is safe for all users.
- Not too firm and not too soft to perfectly distribute body weight
- Comes with a generous warranty and a trial period
- CertiPUR-US certified
- King, Queen, and California King sizes cost more than $500
Live and Sleep is another popular mattress manufacturer. The Live and Sleep Resort comes with a super soft knit cover. It is a memory foam mattress, which means it conforms to the contours on your body to keep you comfortable all night. Its medium firmness is delicately balanced to ensure your body weight is well balanced for comfort.
The mattress comes with a memory foam pillow for added comfort. Each unit is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial and comes in a compressed package. On delivery, you are offered a 30-day trial and a 20-year warranty.
The beautiful mattress sports three layers. Its top 2.5-inch layer is made of premium airflow memory foam. The middle layer is a 1-inch gel-infused viscose. Its base layer is a sturdy 8.5-inch high-density foam. With the airflow memory foam at the top enhances breathability to keep you cool at night. The mattress is available in nine sizes, including short RV/Camper and Trailer Queen.
- Airflow top layer keeps the user cool all night
- Generous 20-year warranty
- Anti-microbial and hypoallergenic
- 30-day trial period is relatively short
Resort Sleep Mattresses are comfortable and inexpensive – you can grab California King Size for less than $500. This mattress is designed to offer a perfect balance between support and comfort. It ensures you get the stability of memory foam mattresses without the increased temperature. Each mattress consists of two layers. The top layer is a 2.5-inch Visco memory foam for breathability. Its base layer is 7.5’’ high-density foam for support.
The mattress is available in eight sizes; all of which cost less than $500. Those looking for a mattress that provides pain relief and comfort will enjoy the medium-to-firm feel of this mattress. You are offered a 20-year warranty with the purchase of this mattress to guarantee its longevity.
- Very affordable irrespective of the chosen size
- Generous 20-year warranty
- Comes with a free soft memory foam pillow worth $40
- The mattress might feel so firm for some users
The name of the mattress is not a mistake – the memory foam used on this mattress comes infused with green tea. This keeps the mattress fresh at all times. You get the calming effects of green tea on a comfortable mattress.
You can choose between 8, 10, and 12-inch thicknesses and between 6 mattress sizes – all under $500. The CertiPUR-US certified mattress sports four layers. The top layer is a 3-inch memory foam layer under which is a 2-inch comfort layer. The third layer is 3.5 inches and facilitates airflow for added breathability. Its base layer is made of high-density 3.5 inches of foam for support.
This mattress is classified as medium-firm – it is neither too firm nor too soft. It can hold individuals up to 450 pounds comfortably. Even better, the manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty to guarantee longevity.
- The green tea extract offers prolonged freshness on your mattress
- All sized cost less than $500
- The mattress is breathable to keep you cool and comfortable at night
- The 10-year warranty is relatively less generous.
Classic Brands designed this mattress to offer a great balance between comfort and support. It is a hybrid mattress with both innerspring and gel memory foam. The three layers that make this mattress ensure that you get the comfort and support of gel memory foam and the reduced motion transfer seen in innerspring mattresses.
A a 1.25-inch thick comfort foam which is a 0.5-inch fiber is below the top layer. The last of the top layers is a 0.75-inch firm poly for support. The base layer is an 8-inch wrapped coil innerspring. These wrapped coils are in separate pockets to contour to your body for added comfort. The mattress is available in seven sizes. You can also shop for 8, 10, 10.5, and 14-inch thicknesses.
Being gel-infused, this mattress is more porous than traditional memory foam mattresses. This makes it more breathable for a cooler sleep. Its coils are made of 13-gauge steel distributed uniformly across the mattress.
- Available in a wide selection of sizes and thicknesses
- Combines the benefits of foam and innerspring
- Highly breathable
- Warranty period relatively short
The Signature Sleep 12-Inch Gel Foam Mattress combines the benefits of memory foam with gel infusion offering a comfortable and supportive mattress. Memory foam offers pressure relief benefits while gel infusion offers comfort. The mattress ships compressed and takes a few days to decompress.
The top layer is a 2-inch gel-infused foam that enhances breathability. Its middle layer is responsive memory foam that contours to the shape of your body and reduces motion transfer. At the base is an 8.5-inch high-density support foam. The base layer provides stability and ensures the user does not rill off the mattress. Besides this option, the mattress is available in 6, 8, and 10 inches.
- Offers excellent support for the head, neck, shoulders, and the hips
- Eliminates transfer of motion
- Offered in multiple thicknesses
- Highly breathable for a cooler sleep
- Mattress not available in a wide selection of sizes
accommodates all sleepers, Lucid designed a mattress for every sleeper.
This mattress comes with a 3.5-inch top layer made of charcoal and Aloe Vera infusions. These infusions keep the mattress fresh at all times and masking the odor produced by memory foam. Below the infusions is a 6.5-inch thick individually encased steel coils layer. Its base layer increases airflow and reduces motion transfer. There are also dual transition layers that help create an even feel – summing the thickness of the mattress to 12 inches.
Along the edges, the mattress is supported by a 6-inch layer. The mattress is available in six sizes. Because this is an innerspring mattress, it is highly durable. Lucid offers a 12-year warranty to guarantee longevity. Each unit comes protected with a knit fabric cover.
- Aloe Vera infusion keeps mattress fresh all the time
- The mattress aligns to your spine
- Wicks away moisture to keep you cool and dry
- 12-year warranty is relatively short
Classic Brands has manufactured mattresses with different materials to fit the needs of different users. This 12-inch mattress comes in six sizes – all of which cost less than $500. It comes with three layers. The top layer is plush cool gel foam for breathability. Its middle layer is a poly gel supportive layer beneath which is a high-density memory form layer.
Each mattress is made of CertiPUR-US certified memory foam for performance and safety. Its medium firmness is great for people who need support and those who need comfort. Its gel memory foam layer regulates temperature to keep you cool all night. The memory foam contours to your body curves keeping you comfortable.
You are offered a 25-year limited warranty with the purchase of this mattress to guarantee longevity.
- Feels plush with the gel-infused memory
- Generous 25-year warranty
- All sizes cost less than $500
- Medium firmness accommodates many sleepers
- Some users claim the mattress is firmer than expected
The Signature Sleep 13-Inch Innerspring Mattress might be a great option if you are looking for a thicker mattress. Even though the mattress is thicker than most on this list, even a King-sized mattress costs less than $500.
Each mattress is made of individually encased coils to minimize motion transfer. The coils also enhance the longevity of the mattress. It is available in three sizes including full, queen and king sizes. Even better, the mattress is covered and protected by a luxurious looking bamboo ticking cover. This material is breathable to keep you cool and comfortable. The material dries quickly and absorbs moisture to keep the mattress fresh for long. On top of the mattress is a 1-inch foam – made of 3-zone foam – for support and comfort.
By having independently encased coils, the mattress evenly distributes the weight of a person and reduces motion transfer. This results in a more comfortable sleep.
- High-quality breathable cover
- All sizes cost less than $500
- Highly durable
- Comes with a short 1-year warranty
The Swiss Ortho Sleep Memory Foam Mattress is another 13-inch mattress on our list. Swiss Ortho Sleep claims that they designed this mattress for users who suffer backaches and neck pains. This makes it an ideal choice if what you need is support.
The mattress sports a 2-inch gel memory top that enhances breathability to keep you cool. Below the top layer is 2 inches of high-density foam for support. The base is a 9-inch high-density foam for added support and stability. It is covered and protected with white soft-knitted bamboo cover.
- Breathable cover and breathable top layer keep you cool
- Thick mattress lasts long
- Offered with a 10-year warranty
- Designed to relieve back and neck pain
- Some users find the mattress firmer than expected
The Zinus 12-Inch mattress looks as good as it feels. The mattress is made of iCoil springs, which ensure there is little to no motion transfer. Each mattress comes with a fiber-quilted cover, which is breathable to keep you cool.
The mattress is multilayered with a 1.5-inch top, a 2-inch high-density foam and an 8.5-inch base made of encased iCoil. You can choose between four sizes and four thickness options to meet your needs and your budget. However, each option is available for less than $500. The mattress offers a medium-firm feel and offers a great balance between comfort and support/ with the purchase of this mattress, you are offered a 10-year warranty.
- All sizes are available for less than $500
- Highly durable and offered with a 10-year warranty
- Breathable to keep you cool and dry all night
- Some users find this mattress firm
Olee Sleep 13-Inch Boxtop Hybrid Mattress is a combination of memory foam and innerspring. This combination ensures it is comfortable and supportive with little to no motion transfer. The mattress also comes with a classy cover that adds to its beauty.
The mattress is available in full, king and queen sizes, all that are available at less than $500. Each mattress is made up of five layers; a 7.5’’ coil layer that heat-treated, a 1’’ iGel layer, a 1.5’’ foam layer, a 2-inch high-density foam layer, and a 2-inch hollow conjugated and poly jacquard fabric. The combination of these layers makes the mattress very comfortable.
Even after years of use, the mattress does not sag permanently. The manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty.
- Combines the benefits of memory foam and innerspring to offer comfort and support
- High durable
- Breathable for cool sleep
- The manufacturer does not say whether the mattress is CertiPUR-US certified
If you prefer a thinner mattress, this might be a good option. The mattress is available in six sizes to meet all your mattress needs.
There is thin memory foam quilted into the soft mattress cover for support. The second layer is a 1.5-inch foam that acts as a comfort layer. Its third layer is a felt pad that insulates the spring coils and adds to the comfort and longevity of the mattress. The base layer is made of tempered steel coils that give you support and minimize motion transfer.
You are offered a 10-year warranty as proof of longevity.
- Very affordable hybrid mattress
- Durable and comfortable
- Generous warranty
- Not ideal for users looking for thicker mattresses
We all desire a proper and restful sleep. You do not have to spend a dime to buy a high-quality mattress for a comfortable and relaxing sleep. Budget-friendly beds that are compatible with all your sleep needs are available. Since you are shopping on a budget, it is prudent to purchase online. Online mattress brands cut costs immensely by selling directly to you.
Since there are countless products on the market to choose from and many of featuring attractive price tags, making the right decision can be challenging. After conducting our extensive research, we can authoritatively recommend the above as the best mattresses under 500.