Choosing the right mattress will not only help you in achieving restful sleep, but will also assist in maintaining the natural shape of your spine. Memory foam is considered the best type of mattress due to its ability to contour the body. It molds to the body, and reverts back to its neutral form as soon as the exerted pressure is removed.
This flexibility makes it an excellent choice for everyone. It also has many additional features that should be noted. To find the best memory foam mattress, you should review several of their key features.
To help customers in this quest, we have discussed in brief the significant factors to be taken into consideration when buying. You will have more transparency in your purchase by considering different product reviews. Don’t forget to check out our own choice
Table of Contents
- 1 What Is Memory Foam?
- 2 Memory Foam Vs. Latex Vs. Innerspring
- 3 How to Choose the Right Density for Your Memory Foam Mattress?
- 4 Why Is Memory Foam So Expensive?
- 5 How to Keep Cool on a Memory Foam Mattress?
- 6 How Long Does A Memory Foam Mattress Last?
- 7 How to Fix a Sagging Memory Foam Mattress?
- 8 How to Clean Memory Foam Mattress?
- 9 Do You Need a Box spring With a Memory Foam Mattress?
- 10 Top 9 Best Memory Foam Mattress 2018(Reviews and compare)
What Is Memory Foam?
Memory foam comprises of the polyurethane as the main component along with other additional chemicals which help in increasing the density and viscosity. It’s often termed as POLYURETHANE or VISCOELASTIC FOAM. It is also termed as LOW-RESILIENCE POLYURETHANE FOAM.
The memory foams which are of high-density type softens down in reaction to our body heat which is released, allowing the foam to mold around a warm body within few minutes. Newer memory foams usually recover more quickly to their basic shape.
- They offer you with pain relieving properties due to the contouring effect provided by the mattress.
- It aids in reducing the back pain due to the natural resting position of the spinal cord.
- They offer you extra warmth which is the preference for some individuals.
- According to Arand, lying down on the memory foam results in the production of heat which allows the foam to soften in certain areas. This heat aids in supporting the body along the natural lines and curves.
- They often lead to emission causing the respiratory irritation.
- The retaining heat property makes you feel uncomfortable during the warm weather.
- The polyurethane material in the memory foams is combustible.
- The manufacturers also caution the users of the memory foam that they should avoid leaving the children or small babies unattended because it might be difficult for them to turn over.
- The hazardous air pollutants are emitted from the memory foams which in short-term period lead to the irritation of throat and nose while chronic exposure leads to dizziness, memory loss, headache, and nausea.
Memory Foam Vs. Latex Vs. Innerspring
- It provides excellent pressure relief whereas latex offers you with very good pressure relief.
- The temperature comfort level is weak whereas the latex offers you with very good control of temperature.
- They offer you with weak support whereas the latex provides you with excellent support to the individuals.
- The motion transfer reduction with the memory foams is very good, whereas it’s just good with the use of latex mattress.
- Back support is superior with memory foam mattress when compared to the innerspring mattress.
- They do not allow the mildew, molds or dust mites to attract over them.
- The density of the memory foams allows your bed to last for a twice longer period when compared to the innerspring mattress. It does not result in squeaking, creaking, sagging or development of the bodily impressions.
- The latex is available in the combination of natural as well as synthetic.
- The performance consistency with the memory foams is weak, however, it’s excellent with the latex.
- The latex offers you with the excellent durability whereas the durability level of the memory foam is fair.
- The latex mattress aids in reducing the off-gassing and allows you to sleep cool.
- Natural latex is more expensive when compared to the innerspring mattress and memory foam, however, the memory foams do last for a longer period.
- The innerspring mattress has a steel coil type of support mechanism. These mattresses have been on the market for so long and have been gaining popularity since then. Wide range of innerspring mattresses offer firmness along with fluffiness of the pillow tops
- The steel coil mechanism in the innerspring is durable.
- Sleeping over the metal results in the creation of pressure points which means even if you have padded it will make you toss and turn around eventually.
- The innerspring mattresses result in a squeak, sag or creak.
- The innerspring mattresses lose their level of comfort with time. The innerspring mattresses are available in different designs with different coil systems which is extremely confusing.
- The innerspring mattresses are ideal for people who are overweight because it allows them to sleep firmly, making it easier for them to jump in and out of the bed.
How to Choose the Right Density for Your Memory Foam Mattress?
Every person is different in terms of his preference regarding the density of the mattress they choose. There are various types available in the market with different densities and different technologies such as temperature control feature or allowing you the ease of movement.
So, what density means in terms of memory mattresses?
For example, if you bought a memory mattress which has a density of around 5lbs for each cubic foot, then the foams weighs around 5lbs for that each cubic foot. There are three different types of densities available:
Low-density And below
All the memory mattress in the market usually react to the body temperature. When the memory mattress gets warmed, it becomes softer and molds according to the natural contours of the body. It is because of this reason that some brands do not adjust immediately because they do not spring up the second you lie down on the mattress.
The low-density mattress offers you with nice and softer feeling. These mattresses are cheaper because less material is used in them.
Medium density 4-5 lbs.
The medium density mattress are the most popular ones because they offer you with a perfect ratio of soft and firm. The medium density mattress is also famous because the price range of such foams suits the budget of many individuals. The stiffness level of such bed is a bit lesser than the high-density one.
If you do not suffer from any form of muscle stiffness or joint pain then you can probably choose the medium density memory model to sleep on. If you have a budget to buy a memory mattress which has a bottom layer of high density while the upper layer of low density then you should probably opt for such memory mattress. They provide you softness and you won’t sink in.
High density 6+ lbs.
The high-density memory mattress is highly expensive because a lot of material is used by the manufacturer, you need to spend thousands of dollars for such mattresses. The high density or orthopedic mattresses usually have 6lbs of density to relief your nasty pains and aches. The high-density memory mattress is the only option that you must consider if you have any medical condition.
These memory mattresses are stiff, but they do warm up and mold according to your body shape. It is because of the reason that the high-density memory foams are designed in a manner to provide ultimate support over the pressure points of the body. The durability of such one is very high.
Why Is Memory Foam So Expensive?
The word “expensive memory foam” is not something you should be afraid off because it means more quality and durability. The expensive memory foams have different advantages when compared to the low quality and cheap models. Although you can buy the cheaper ones as well.
The cheaper ones are generally softer than the expensive ones because they are less dense and they compress easily. The cheaper memory mattresses are less dense which means they are less durable.
The expensive memory mattress offers you with extra advantage such as a longer shelf life i.e. around 20 years, whereas the cheaper ones offer you with 5 years of shelf life. All the expensive memory mattress have gel which allows you to sleep cool at night. The expensive models are denser than the cheaper models. These are firmer and extra durable than the cheaper memory mattress. The expensive one provides you with excellent support, without leaving the body impressions.
They offer you with a slow sink. The expensive memory mattresses are made in the US due to which the quality is highly controlled and expensive. The brands selling the memory mattresses are certified. They offer you with non-toxic and less off-gassing memory mattresses which are environment-friendly.
So, knowing the differences between the cheaper and the expensive memory foams, you can easily buy the memory mattress which is in your budget and what is your preference.
How to Keep Cool on a Memory Foam Mattress?
Add Gel On It
Adding a liquid gel to the memory foam aids in retaining the benefits provided by the mattress such as pressure distribution, posture support and aids in keeping memory mattress cool.
It’s impossible to change or replace the airflow design of the memory mattress because the structure is completely solid. However, you can ensure that the space underneath the mattress is enough to allow the air to move freely.
If the air gets trapped under the mattress, it will result in accumulation of heat leading to discomfort. The best memory mattress beds have the spaced wooden ply or boards which allow the air to move freely.
Use A Cool Topper
It’s advised to choose a cool topper which is made up of down alternative, gel foam or natural cotton. The topper adds up a perfect layer of the space which allows the air to move freely and makes you feel cool.
How Long Does A Memory Foam Mattress Last?
The important consideration while buying a memory foam is the lifespan of that product. These mattresses do last for a longer time than the average mattresses. However, there are several factors you need to consider such as the quality of the product, the density along with the care of the memory mattress which has the high impact on the lifespan of the mattresses.
The density, as well as the core of the mattress, predict the longevity of the mattresses. The denser types offer you with a perfect feel and provide you with the best performance. The denser the mattress the longer it will last.
So the higher density last for a longer period when compared to the low-density mattress. Most people, however, usually prefer to sleep over the medium density mattress. These models last for a longer period i.e. around 8-10 years but the low-density have a shorter lifespan i.e. around 4-6 years.
The second most important aspect regarding the longevity is the support base. This component of the memory foam rests beneath the mattress and also responsible for providing you with the body support.
The low-quality support base has reduced longevity. The high-resilience memory foams are considered ideal with a core density of around 2.0lbs. The low-density cores, on the other hand, are less than 2.0lbs, they quickly break down, compress and get softer with time resulting in compromised longevity and support.
How to Fix a Sagging Memory Foam Mattress?
The sagging memory foam mattress provides you with an uneven surface. It does not offer the complete body support and leads to the trouble of holding the body posture. It further leads to the joint and muscle pain.
- Put the pillows underneath the sagging areas
- You can try replacing the plywood or cardboard
- You can use a mattress pad or a mattress topper
- Avoid spillage of liquids and control moisture to avoid sagging in the first place
- You can opt for a mattress helper- a solution which aids in fixing the sagging problems immediately and helps to provide you with the support
How to Clean Memory Foam Mattress?
The easiest and the simplest way to clean the memory mattress is by regularly vacuuming the mattress. A handheld vacuum is a perfect option for cleaning the memory foam. However, before vacuuming you need to remove the Antimicrobial Cotton blend cover which is placed over the mattress. Ensure to vacuum all the sides of the mattress as well.
If you have stains, the perfect way to get rid of them is by using the mild detergents instead of the harsh chemicals such as ammonia or bleach.
Moreover, if you do not have a mild detergent, you can use the mixture of water and vinegar for cleaning the stains with a sponge.
If you have a liquid spilled over, you can place it in the sunlight immediately. However, keep turning the sides of the mattress so that it dries out evenly.
If there is no sunlight, you can place some baking soda over it to make it dry perfectly. If your mattress is slightly damp, then use a blow dryer for drying it.
Do You Need a Box spring With a Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory mattresses do not need the box spring in general. However, you might need them, if the bed frame does not provide you with support which can hold the mattress. The traditional and uncomfortable mattresses do need the support of the box springs, but the experts advise that you don’t need box spring .
Top 9 Best Memory Foam Mattress 2018(Reviews and compare)
|Idle all foam
|Gel memory foam||11||
|Gel memory foam||10||
|Signature Sleep||Memory foam||12||
|Live and Sleep
|Responsive memory foam||10||
|Zinus Green Tea||Memory foam||6/8/10/12||
|Best Price||Memory foam||6/8/10||
|Zinus Sleep Master||Memory foam||8/10/12||
|Perfect Cloud||Memory foam||8||
THE 14″ IDLE DOUBLE SIDED ALL FOAM(Best for side sleeper)
When it comes to buying the best memory foam mattresses, how in the world could we leave out the Idle Double Sided All Foam Mattress? The tremendously successful product from Idle Sleep features five unique and professionally engineered layers, two of which are made of an Idle-exclusive foam blend that is twice as good as memory foam.
Let’s have a look at the features of the Idle Sleep Double Sided All Foam Mattress:
The Idle Double Sided Mattress features a cohesion of five layers. The outermost layer is obviously the cover. This cover is made of Thermocool fabric that is designed to adapt and modify according to the body’s core and surface temperature.
The second layer is a 1-inch Idle Quilted Foam that can be adjusted to enhance comfort and firmness. The third layer is doubled on either side of the mattress and features Idle Gel Swirl Buoyancy Foam that adds ten times more comfort than tranditonal memory foams. The innermost layer is made of High-Density Foam which allows for minimum motion transfer and better stability.
The Idle Hybrid Mattresses come in a variety of firmness levels. Particularly, they come in two unique firmness levels: medium, which is a 5.5 to 6 on the firmness scale, and a Luxury level, which is an incredible 7.5.
Idle foams don’t contain any viscoelastic material and it helped to stay cooler while sleep. The motion transfer of this mattress is minimum and helps to keep aligned the hips, shoulders, and back.
A trademark feature is the double sided use. Through this feature, your mattress will last longer and you can stay away from the hefty process of shopping mattress.
You’ll experience a minimum off-gassing since the packing is done in the USA and it takes not much time to bed delivered to your doorstep.
The 14 inch Idle Double Sided All Foam Mattress can be found online in a variety of sizes. This five-layer foam is available in sizes Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. This means that you always have a ton of choices to choose from.
- Luxury dimensions that add to comfort and a snug fit.
- Five distinct layers of foam and covers.
- The outermost layer of Thermocool fabric that ensures that the surface is always regulated to your needs.
- The second layer of Quilted Foam for increased comfort.
- Double layer of Idle Gel Swirl Buoyancy Foam that holds more pros than any ordinary memory foam.
- Firmness is usually fixed at Medium (5.5-6) or Luxury (7.5), which is optimal for most users.
- Six unique sizes that ensure that you always have a surplus of choices.
- Awesome warranty and trial
- Maybe too thick for some users
- Price is a little high since it’s a luxury model
- Use code BMR300 to get $300 OFF when checking out.
- See full reviews for Idle sleep (4 collections there)
Nectar Mattress (Best for the money)
If you’re talking performance, customization, variety, and professionalism, you basically mean the Nectar Mattress. The Nectar Mattress is just what it sounds like: sweet, and a whole lot of bud-tingling sensations.
This mattress has 5 distinct and very important layers that shape up the capacity of the product, and features three layers made of high-quality Memory Foam that will ensure a secure and extremely comfortable sleep experience.
The Nectar Mattress has tons of unique characteristics that will surely make you fall in love with it. Let’s look into the features:
- Five Extraordinary Layers
The Nectar features 5 layers of foam and covers that have been mechanically reinforced to provide the best experience.
- The top or outermost layer is made of a Tencel Cooling cover that not only keeps you cool and regulated during sleep, but also doubles as a bedbug repellant.
- The second layer is of pure Quilted Gel Memory Foam which facilitates air circulation and body contouring.
- The third layer is made of Gel Memory Foam that relieves stress and spinal pain.
- Extra cushioning and bounce are encapsulated in the fourth layer, which has been engineered from Adaptive Hi-Core Memory Foam.
- The lowermost layer is a base layer that mainly provides support and ventilation.
- Fits All Types of Bed Frames
The Nectar Mattress is versatile and diverse, and can fit into almost all types of bed frames. Think you can’t find a mattress that perfectly fits your Divan bed frame? Think again. The Nectar Mattress can contort and conform, and suitably fit in Divans, Box Springs, Platforms, Floors, Traditional Frames, as well as in Adjustable Bases.
- Optimum Firmness
The firmness quotient of the Nectar Mattresses is why we fell in love with them in the first place. The firmness remains between 6 and 7, which is neither too soft nor too tough. However, it may not work for users who want to use it for therapeutic reasons and wish to adjust the firmness.
- Tencel Cooling Cover provides heat regulation and cooling.
- Three layers of memory foam that promote body contouring and stress relief.
- Supportive base layer that adds to the cushioning and comfort.
- Can be used with a variety of beds such as Divans, Box Springs, Platforms, Floors, Traditional Frames, and Adjustable Bases.
- Firmness is just right, between 6 and 7. Suitable for most people
- You can’t find a better mattress at this price level
- Awesome trial and warranty
- Only one firmness scale
- May take a long while s to ship out due to high demand
Eluxury Supply (best for back pain)
The e-luxury supply includes the uniqueness of gel in its technology, amongst other features that make it the best choices. With a trial period of over 120 nights, the company is sure to gain the customer’s satisfaction. Along with providing a high-quality bed, the company also gives one out of every 45 sales to charity.
E-Luxury supplies offer a step ahead of the regular memory foam mattresses; they offer a gel infused option here, which helps in keeping it cooler, comfortable and more relaxed than a regular mattress.
The gel foam is in the topmost layers of about 3 inches and weighs about 3 pounds. The rest of the mattress is a seven-inch high-density base foam, which helps in relaxing your pressure points without causing discomfort. The cover is a poly-blend that has a zipper for easy removal and washing.
This product is made in the USA and approved by CertiPUR. To ensure customer satisfaction, the company offers a 120 night trial for their product along with a 10 years warranty.
- The gel memory foam is the latest technology, which helps in acquiring more comfort along with the cooling
- The cover is poly-blend and can be quickly taken off and put back on for machine washing
- Approved by CertiPUR
- The company offers up to a 120 night trial period, the longest trial period found in the industry.
- Best choice for the one who is a fan of memory foam but with back pain
- The mattress is firmer than many people prefer
- Price is higher compared with other cheap choices or Nectar
- Only 10 inches high
Signature sleep is a well-known brand that provides the best quality products to its customers. This is why it has been ranked as one of the best available choices. Signature sleep has multiple different layers including a memory foam layer, which makes it comfortable and healthy to sleep on. It comes in all sizes, and has several depths available to choose from, according to your personal preference.
The signature sleep is a brand that is sure to provide a great mattress an excellent level of comfort. It comes in various depths and sizes, for the perfect fit according to your bed frame. This mattress has multiple layers of memory foam and high-density foam, which allows users to enjoy the pure comfort.
This product is easy to clean and is made of well-ventilated fabric. It is safe for the environment as well as CertiPUR approved. Easy shipping allows this product to be transported in a box. The mattress will expand to its natural shape within 48 hours.
- It has two comfortable layers which allow the body to remain in a preferred position
- The fabric is well-ventilated easy to clean
- CertiPUR certifies mattresses based on durability, content, and performance
- Environmentally friendly
- You have the option to choose different styles and sizes that fit your bed frame
- Does not have any bacteria or odor prevention qualities
- It does not spill proof; able to ruin mattress with liquid
- Warranty and trial is not so good compared with other choices in our list
Live and Sleep(best for hot sleepers)
The live and sleep may be a little pricey, but it is one of the best options out there. With positive reviews over 90%, in addition to its many features, this mattress is a must-buy. The company offers a warranty of twenty years, a trial period of thirty nights, and a free memory foam pillow. With standard and unique sizes, so this is also an attractive option for everyone.
The live and sleep is designed to be as comfortable as possible. It is ideal for people that like to change positions while sleeping, and it helps to avoid tossing and turning out of discomfort. The soft fabric is made of flex thread textile, and is easy to remove and put it in the washing machine.
This mattress is designed to be breathable, which keeps it fresh in the summertime. The 2.5-inch layer of prime airflow infused pure visco, along with the extra thick layer of the advanced high-density support base, allows the body to be contoured according to your needs.
They foams they used are eco-friendly, CertiPUR approved, hypoallergenic, antibacterial, and compressible for secure shipment.
- Antibacterial, and it is hypoallergenic, a great choice for people with allergies
- The new modern technology layers not only provide comfort, but also contour the body
- A free memory foam pillow helps in keeping your head contoured
- Cooling factor allows the body to be temperature to be controlled, even during summertime
- You can take off the cover and safely wash it
- The foam inside the bed is not waterproof
- A little firm in the beginning
Best Price Mattress
This best price mattress company is known to provide its customers the best products at competitive prices. This product does not skimp on quality because of the low cost. It is CertiPUR approved, and is offered in different sizes to fit a number of bed frames with ease. The ten-year warranty on this product also contributes to customer satisfaction.
They are available on the market, and contrary to popular belief, they offer the best quality at the right price. This bed is made for people who like a contoured feeling without standard pressure points to make it uncomfortable.
The memory foam combined with a super-soft, high-density foam allows it to mold to the shape of the sleeper, so that uninterrupted rest can be had. This product comes in several different sizes, fitting a number of different bed frames.
The mattress is CertiPUR certified, which guarantees the product’s durability, performance, and content. For a further customer satisfaction, a 10-year warranty is given with each purchase. For odor and moisture control, this mattress contains active charcoal.
- Active charcoal in the mattress helps in controlling odors and moisture
- It contours to the shape of the body, and creates pressure points according to the sleeper, further improving comfort level.
- The product is approved by CertiPUR
- Cheap price, very affordable
- Only six inches thick and has a weight limit of 250 pounds
- Cleaning is difficult and can be a nuisance
Zinus Green Tea
The Zinus mattress comes in several different sizes, and is available in multiple thicknesses for versatility. It is shipped smartly for safety purposes, and has many unique features to woo mattress customers. Memory foam makes it perfect to sleep on, without losing the natural shape of your spine. The company provides a warranty for assurance of customer satisfaction.
This mattress has highly attractive features, making it one of the best choices on the market. It has pressure relieving support, allowing for a better and more restful night’s sleep.
The mattress is infused with green tea extracts, along with castor seeds extract, which helps in killing bacteria and odor in the mattress. And it has been certified by CertiPUR, the US certification for durability, content, and better performance.
This mattress includes three layer; three inches of memory foam, two inches of comfort foam, three and a half inches of airflow high-density foam, fabric, and core construction foam to make one exceptional mattress. This mattress is available in different sizes and depths for versatility and enjoyment.
- Green tea and castor seed oil extract to remove odor and bacteria
- 12 inches high, 2 inches than the industry standard
- CertiPUR approved
- Available in many different sizes and depths
- Highly rated by many customers
- Affordable price
- Not eco-friendly
- Not spill-proof or easy to clean.
Zinus Sleep Master
This product is the ultimate in comfortable beds, and leaves behind traditional technologies previously used in mattresses. Like all good products, it comes in various sizes that can be used as per your bed frame.
The bed has the technology to be smartly shipped by compressing and rolling it. It will return to its natural shape within 48 hours of being removed from its packaging.
The Zinus Ultima Comfort uses the latest version of memory foam, which is Bio Foam. It has replaced the old environmentally hazardous layers with natural plant oil that helps in keeping it comfortable, fresh and antibacterial.
They also used a pressure relieving comfort foam along with a memory and high-density base support foam, which targets the pressure points of the user according to their body. The CertiPUR approval gives consumers peace of mind when making a mattress purchase. This mattress is available in many different sizes.
Many mattresses support only one sleeping position or other. However, this is not the case with Zinus Sleep Master. It offers sleep and comfort equally for all three positions. You can have it irrespective of the fact whether you are a side sleeper, stomach sleeper or a back sleeper.
- Bio-foam technology is used to keep it fresh and comfortable
- Pressure relieving comfort foam targets pressure points
- CertiPUR certification ensures that it is durable, reliable, and trustworthy
- Affordable choice
- Only 8 inches thick
- It is not antibacterial, and it is difficult to clean
The ideal cloud supreme helps you sleep as peacefully as if you were resting in the clouds.
The new air foam technology helps in decreasing restlessness at night, and is suitable for different bed frames. The company provides a trial period of thirty days and a warranty of 10 years. It is exclusively designed in the US.
The perfect cloud supreme helps you sleep so comfortably at night that it genuinely resembles the comfort of a cloud. The new technology of air foam decreases tossing and turning. The firmness of the mattress is ideal, neither a hard nor a soft, but a gentle cushy feel on the top.
The mattress has passed the “Goldilocks test”, which means it’s not too soft and not too firm, making it just right. The base layer of the mattress is responsible for correct support. The cover is removable and can be replaced.
CertiPUR US has approved the durability, content, and performance of this mattress. It is also hypoallergenic and dust mite preventative.
It’s ideal for heavyweights. If you are a lightweight person, then you feel like you’re sleeping on a rock solid surface. However, you don’t need to worry about it. Just add a soft topper, and that’s it, you can share it with your lightweight partner.
- Goldilocks approved
- The CertiPUR USA has certified this mattress
- The air comfort allows extensive rest
- This product is hypoallergenic, and the cover is removable
- The cover is removable but not washable
- The bed does not have unique features to remove odor
- Constructed by only 2 layers