The National Sleep Foundation recommends that we sleep at least 7 hours every day. With proper sleep, our bodies and minds are able to function properly. Since we spend these many number of hours on our mattress we should ensure it remains protected and fresh.
The costly nature of a mattress calls for effort when it comes to taking care of it. There are different ways to take care of your mattress. One effective way is by buying a mattress protector. Having a waterproof mattress protectors helps you shield it from pet mess, potty training accidents, and spills.
After extensive research, we can authoritatively state that the waterproof protectors we have features on this primer do a great job at keeping your mattress dry thus making it comfortable for you to sleep on.
Why you should buy a waterproof mattress protector or pad?
You need to keep your mattress protected at all times to extend its life. With a mattress protector or pad, your mattress is safe. Most mattress manufacturer warranties will not cover you in case of damages caused by spills or moisture. As such, to keep your mattress in good shape, ensure it is safe from moisture and spills.
When your mattress is protected from moisture, there is less or no mold buildup and the life of your mattress is significantly extended. Again, because it is not easy to clean a mattress, the cover keeps off unwanted stains so your mattress is fresh all the time. The cover can also be placed on beds of children who wet the bed to act as a mackintosh.
A waterproof mattress protector keeps allergens and any other unwanted or harmful particles off your mattress. When shopping for protectors and pads, ensure they are hypoallergenic. You cannot clean a mattress whenever a spill occurs and this is where the protector or pad comes in. In cases of spills or when the protector gets dirty, you only need to throw them into the washing machine.
Styles of waterproof mattress protectors
Waterproof mattress protectors are offered in four basic styles to meet the needs of different needs:
- Fitted sheet style – These are ideal for adjustable beds. They are designed with pocketed corners to fit the mattress snugly. These pockets keep the protector in place even when you move a lot at night. If you have ever used a fitted bed sheet, you will find these easy to use. The only difference between these and fitted sheets is that the protector comes with a backing that protects your bed.
- Six-Sided Protector – A six-sided protector protects the whole mattress and not just the top surface. You will encase the whole mattress into the protector and close it with a zipper. You might prefer this type of a protector if you are worried bedbugs and allergens might find their way into the mattress.
- Fitted pad – A fitted pad sports the same style of a fitted sheet except a soft and thicker material is added on its top surface and to offer a soft feel. The soft feel of the top material makes different from the fitted sheet style protector.
- Pad – Pads do not cover the entire mattress. They are placed on top of the mattress to cover specific sections that might need protection. The only disadvantage with pads is that they are not easy to secure in place.
12 Best Waterproof Mattress Protector 2020
The Adaptive Shield Mattress Protector
This mattress protector comes with an intuitive HeiQ adaptive technology that makes it perfectly cool and allows it to have a dry microclimate while you are sleeping. During the warmer climate, you will not have to deal with being too hot when you sleep.
The jacquard fabric top has a smooth, luxurious surface that is gentle on your skin. It is, therefore, easier for you to sleep even if you have sensitive skin that is easily affected by rough surfaces.
It also comes with an ultimate stain and liquid protection that will not damage the protector in any way. The material is breathable and is fluid proof. This means that a sleeper will not be affected by the liquid, and they will continue to sleep. It is perfect for people with allergies because the material is hypoallergenic, so you have protection from mold, dust mites, bacteria, and other allergens.
- Luxuriously soft material
- Easy to wash
- May feel wrinkly
ELuxury Supply Waterproof Mattress Protector
This mattress protector is 100% microfiber, which means it is soft and allows you to sleep comfortably. Being waterproof allows you to have peace of mind that your mattress is protected from moisture, fluids, and stains. It is a mattress pad that will absorb anything that may damage the mattress. It has a breathable stretch kit dimple design that takes the shape of the mattress and remains silent even as a sleeper turns throughout the night. This contour technology also ensures that there is a cooling airflow, so a sleeper maintains the needed body temperatures for a restful night. Its hypoallergenic properties make it perfect for pets, children, and people who suffer from allergy sensitivity. It has deep pockets that have an Eleatic skirt fitted. This keeps the protector in place and keeps the bed from looking wrinkly.
- Ten-year warranty
- Deep pockets
- Easy to clean
- It is not water-resistant
Kimitech Mattress Protector
This mattress protector will work for the queen size mattress. It has a terry cotton surface that has a five-sided cover feature that fits snuggly. It easily fits the mattress depth of about 12 inches. Its surface is breathable and comfortable to the skin. It ideally prevents spills and body fluid, urine, and water from reaching your mattress.
It has a thick 2.0T membrane that is water-resistant and acts as a back coating. It is hypoallergenic and therefore great for kids and pets. The deep pockets make it easy to fit and remove. It will also remain dust mite free. Its durable and firm cotton ensures that it will protect your mattress for years without showing signs of wear. It remains completely soundless, so it is perfect for light sleepers too.
- Easy to clean
- Firm and durable material
- Machine washable
- Forms fluffy balls when slept on
SafeRest Queen Size Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector
SafeRest queen size hypoallergenic waterproof protector protects your mattress against urine, fluids, dust mites, bacteria, and allergens. This makes them suitable for people with pets and small kids or asthmatic conditions.
It ensures to eliminate any possibilities of your mattress getting in contact with a drop of unwanted fluid. The protector also ensures that your mattress does not attain any permanent stain or odor due to unprotected spill accidents.
The hypoallergenic cotton material has a membrane back coating that keeps it noiseless, waterproof, and breathable. Therefore, when you sleep, you will enjoy a peaceful and restful night with minimal disturbance.
It also comes in a large size to ensure it covers your bed perfectly and does not come off while you are sleeping. It also has deep pockets, which guarantee that it holds on the mattress firmly.
- 10-year warranty
- Protects against dust mites and perspiration
- Noiseless, waterproof and breathable fabric
- Machine washable
- Although it prevents excess penetration of urine, it will not protect your mattress completely
HOSPITOLOGY PRODUCTS Sleep Defense System
This mattress cover has a zipper design, which guarantees that it can fit on any size of the bed. It also stretches evenly on all sides to cover the entire mattress comfortably without bending the mattress edges. The cover is lab-tested, and it provides you with 100% protection against water, urine dust mites, and other allergens.
The polyester fabric is strong and durable and will keep you comfortable all night. With this breathable membrane, you will not feel distressed through the night due to body heat. Instead, it will allow you to rest comfortably under regulated temperatures.
Additionally, these covers are made in the USA, which enhances durability and reliability at all times. It is also convenient for homes with pets.
- Zippered mattress cover
- Stretches to fit any size
- Machine washable
- 5-year limited warranty
- Breathable waterproof membrane
- Helps ease respiratory conditions
- Slightly expensive compared to others on the market
LUCID Premium Hypoallergenic 100% Waterproof Mattress Protector
It has a sheet fitted style that makes it easy to put on and remove for washing. It has a deep pocket and a full-length thick elastic that ensures the smooth fitting and holds in place all night. This hypoallergenic cover guarantees to protect your mattress against multiple fluid risks.
The fabric used not only prevents fluid penetration but it is also breathable, ensuring that you are comfortable all through. It also guarantees to keep bugs, and other allergens of your bed hence minimize chances of attracting chronic conditions.
To top things up, the cover comes with a 15-year warranty, which gives you the confidence of use. The warranty also guarantees that the cover will not disappoint you with only a few uses even if you have kids and pets in the house.
- Breathable fabric protection
- 15-year warranty
- Blocks allergens and dust mites
- Easy to put on and remove
- Takes time to dry the accumulated water
LINENSPA Premium Smooth Fabric Mattress Protector
With this ultra-thin hypoallergenic smooth mattress protector, body fluids and other liquids will not be an issue. It has a noiseless polyurethane design that allows you to rest comfortably without any stress. The material is also fitted with an all-round elastic band, which makes it easy to fit on your mattress.
Caring for this protector is also easy as it can be machine washed comfortable using cold water and dried on low heat. However, it also comes with care instructions that are easy to understand and follow. This also makes it possible for you to prolong its lifespan, hence increase your chances of advanced performance every night.
Unlike other materials, this waterproof protector guarantees 100% protection on the top surface of your bed and repels all fluids.
- Soft, quiet material for enhanced comfort
- 100% waterproof top surface
- Fully elastic fit sheet
- Convenient for all family use
- Only protects the top surface of the bed rather than all six sides
Utopia Bedding Premium Waterproof Mattress Protector
Utopia bedding premium protector is specifically designed to fit perfectly on a twin-sized mattress thanks to its deep pocket and turned hems design. It makes perfect improvement for your bedroom, especially if you share your bed with kids and pets.
It is made of a terry cotton blend that enhances the soft and noiseless mattress feeling for maximized comfort. Therefore, you will not have to deal with restlessness once the protector is fitted.
Additionally, this cover has an elastic fitting all round that guarantees it firmly hold on the mattress and will not come off unless you want it to. With this mattress cover, you are sure your mattress will not be infested by dust mites and other pests. It also guarantees that your mattress is safe from urine and other fluid stains and odor for reliability.
- Easy to care instruction
- Cotton terry blend
- All-round elastic fitting
- 100% top surface waterproof construction
- Using harsh detergents can ruin its durability
Taste Life Waterproof Mattress Protector
Accidents are bound to happen, especially when we list expect. Once in a while, spilling fluid on your bed is not as threatening. However, your reaction should not be triggered by the spilling rather than what happens when you see the process.
The material is soft and breathable, which makes it highly convenient for both night and day time use.
It is also certified by authoritative brands, and it gives the assurance that everything is okay. Additionally, this cover comes with an easy to clean and maintain instruction. Therefore, you are sure that you can either prolong its durability or minimize according to your skills in following instructions.
This cover also features deep pockets, with an elastic band all-round. Therefore, it ensures to remain firmly on the mattress regardless of how much you move while sleeping.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Breathable soft cotton fabric
- 100% waterproof
- All-round elastic band
- Slightly expensive
Adoric Mattress Protector, Waterproof Mattress Protector
This mattress cover is made of pure cotton fabric. This guarantees durability and exceptional performance. Another features to notice is its noiseless assurance, which makes it suitable for use by everyone in the family.
If you have kids, whether they are potty trained or not, occasionally, they will wet the bed. For this reason, you should always be ready with a mattress cover that cares for the mattress. Additionally, this cover protects your bed against water, dust mites, and other allergenic problems.
It is also wide enough to ensure it protects your entire mattress without leaving some parts out. Therefore, you will not have to keep awake to keep tucking it in.
- Easy to put on and off
- High-quality construction
- Noiseless comfortable protection
- The material can shrink easily
Homfy King Mattress Protector
The Homfy king protector is made of 70% bamboo and 30% polyester microfiber, which makes it hypoallergenic. You are guaranteed that any unhealthy substance will not have room to grow on the fabric. The mattress and your bed will remain free of allergens and fresh. It is made from 100-per cent terrycloth that is not only waterproof but also breathable. Therefore, any liquid that gets on the surface of the protector will not have room to sip through to your mattress.
It has a deep pocket design that is perfect for king size mattresses. The elastic around the mattress will fit snuggly. Its microfiber material will make the protector get softer with each wash. It is an 18 inches deep sheet that will fit any size of king size bed perfectly. It does not need to be ironed.
- Soft and breathable
- Can hold up to 18 inches of mattress
- Durable and easy to care
- Makes you feel hot during the summer
AmazonBasics Fully-Encased Waterproof Mattress Cover
This mattress protector is made of 100% polyester, therefore, providing adequate protection from dust mites and bed bugs. It has a full mattress encasement that gives you complete 6-sided mattress protection against water, urine, or sweat. It is a heavyweight polyester knitted fabric that has full zipper enclosures on all its four sides. This is particularly useful for people whose beds have hard to reach corners.
It is vinyl free and therefore, soft on the skin. It also does not have noise issues and chemical smells. It is breathable and therefore keeps users from sweating too much at night. It comes with a low profile nine-inch depth that can be stretched to fit a mattress that is up to 12 inches thick. It is backed by an AmazonBasics warranty.
- Easy to clean
- Has a 1-year warranty
- Can fit a mattress that is 12 inches thick
- It is not 100-per cent water resistant
Types of materials of waterproof mattress protectors
A waterproof mattress protector has two sections; the top cover, which offers s soft feel, and the backing, which keeps water and other particles off. The top cover materials need to be soft. They include:
- Cotton – Cotton is preferred for its softness and smoothness. Most of the bed sheets and mattress covers are made of cotton and it makes sense to have it as a top cover on mattress protectors. Cotton is also absorbent for it to be used on a pad or mattress protector, it needs to have a strong waterproof backing.
- Polyester – This is a synthetic material, which is not only relatively inexpensive but can also be customized to create different feels on the protector. The material, though less soft compared to cotton, is highly breathable for a cool night and absorbs less water.
- Rayon – This is a material with some natural fibers but also with a variety of chemicals. It is preferred for its smoothness and breathability that keeps you comfortable and cool all night.
- Lyocell – This material is extracted from wood pulp. It is sold as Tencel. The material has the advantage of feeling soft. While it is not completely waterproof, it holds up well against liquids.
- Fabric blends – To get the best of all worlds, all the materials above might be blended to create a material that absorbs less liquid, feels so soft, and lasts long.
- The backing is usually attached on protectors and pads using an adhesive. This backing is usually attached on the topmost fabric of the protector. Some of the common materials for waterproofing include:
- Vinyl – This material ensures water does not leak into the mattress when it is used on protectors and pads. The only disadvantage with vinyl is the use of phthalates that might not be safe for children and pregnant women.
- Polyurethane – PU is a plastic polymer. It is attached to the top cover material through thermal bonding or lamination.
How do you clean a waterproof mattress protector?
While waterproof mattress protectors and pads protect your bed from leaks and spills, they are not safe from dirt. The protectors should be washed regularly to keep them clean and free from odors. These covers feature a cloth top with a vinyl or polyurethane backing making them easy to clean in a washing machine.
When cleaning, put your pad or protector inside a washing machine with either cold or warm water. Set the machine on delicate or gentle washing to protect the cover. Use a mild detergent since bleach might damage the backing of some covers. After cleaning, tumble dry the cover with the machine set on low heat since high heat will damage the vinyl backing on the cover. The cover can be dried together with other articles such as bed sheets as long as the machine is set on low heat.
Ironing the cover or dry-cleaning it will damage the vinyl cover, and thus this should be avoided. A new mattress cover needs cleaning before first use – this will help soften it and get rid of the packaging odors.
You can spot clean the cover when necessary, such as in case of spills. You only need to use a piece of a soft cloth and mild soap. Note that, when you wash your pad or protector frequently, it breaks down fast. While you need to limit the number of times you clean it, you still need to have a regular washing schedule. Do not clean it as regularly as normal sheets but ensure you clean it to keep odors and dirt off it. Seeing that these protectors or pads are designed with different materials, you need to follow the manufacturer’s instructions to best take care of your protector and extend its life.
Editor’s Pick – Lucid Premium Mattress Protector
Best for added comfort – Kimitech Mattress Protector
Best value – HOSPITOLOGY Waterproof Mattress Protector
Best organic option – Adaptive Shield Mattress Protector
Best for cooling – LINENSPA Mattress Protector