Looking for a new mattress to help you sleep like a baby? We have you covered with this list for the top 10 mattresses for 2017.
A new mattress can really make a great difference in your sleep and overall performance. As we are familiar with this empirically proven fact, our goal was to research and find the top choices for the top 10 mattress for 2017.
Our review process involves both personal testing and going through thousands verified customer reviews to decide which mattress makes it in the top list for this year.
All mattresses presented in this list share some great quality features and benefits, with ratings that exceed other competing brands.
In addition, our top-rated mattresses, exclude water and air mattresses yet include all high quality mattresses with much higher scores than average in unbiased consumers’ reviews.
To the extent of our knowledge, these are the best beds available – just make sure to pick one that suits your needs. Here’s what you need to know:
What is the need for having a good mattress?
More and more studies suggest that along with maintaining a balanced diet and active lifestyle, sleep is recognized as an important contributor to overall good health. Sleep deprivation or sleep disruptions on the contrary contribute to depression, poor concentration, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
Research indicates that around 1 in 3 Americans suffer from poor quality sleep and one important factor that contributes to a good night’s sleep is the right mattress. Considering we spend around one third of our life in bed it is worth doing some research into getting it right.
The right mattress needs to have just the right amount of comfort and support to help keep your spine aligned while feel relaxed. In terms of its length, it should be at least 15cm longer than the tallest person using the bed. It is therefore important to take a look at the dimensions of the mattress you choose before you commit to a buy. Of course you can claim a full refund with most companies nowadays yet still you don’t want the hustle of having to return a product.
If you sleep with a partner, you should be careful to choose a mattress which provides comfort and support for both of you. This may be problematic for some couples who vary significantly in weight. Some mattress models come with differing comfort layers on each side of the bed and this may be a viable option for such couples.
Another important feature of a good mattress is to sleep cool. More and more brands have taken this element into consideration when designing their mattresses and incorporated innovative technologies or fabrics to retain heat and improve overall air flow and blood circulation.
Factors considered in our review process
Before we decide on which is the best mattresses available in the market, there are a number of critical factors which determine our decision. Some of them are objective and others are more subjective. Here’s a quick overview of what we take into consideration.
Value for money is key when we talk about a mattress. The price tag varies depending on overhead and marketing, which will result in costing more. Low quality materials that are not durable, also mean that the mattress won’t last long and it won’t be a good value therefore. Based on the company’s business model and price being charged, we can reach to a good assessment of the overall value of the mattress.
The overall sleep experience and feel of the mattress is rather subjective. If you are a fan of memory foam for example, then you are inclined towards particular mattresses. Other however can’t stand it. Our judgement is based on not what type of feel is better than the other, but rather on the feel and describing it in detail, showing it off, and make our suggestion. In the end, only you can tell which mattress suits your preferences.
Firmness is a subjective measure as well since different people have different preferences of how firm or soft they prefer their mattress to be. One person might think a mattress is firmer than average, while someone else might think the exact same mattress is softer than average. We try to be as objective as possible when it comes to discussing the firmness of a particular mattress, always keeping in mind the firmness scale (1-10, where 10 is the firmest).
- Motion Isolation
The extent to which you can sense movement when sleeping on a mattress, is important especially when you sleep with a partner. In simple terms, the more motion isolation a mattress succeeds, the less you will feel your partner tossing and turning at night.
- Sleeping Hot
This is such an important issue for many people, as they are particularly sensitive to sleeping hot. Our personal testing and data research take extra care to assess this aspect of the mattress and credit the brands which make sure you sleep cool!
- Quality of Materials/Durability
There are some objective things you can assess about the quality of the materials used in each mattress. Durability, for example, relates to the density of the foams used in the mattress. Our intention is to carefully evaluate each material used in each mattress.
We greatly value brands which take care to design a mattress based on environmentally -friendly standards in terms of their processes and materials used. Fortunately, more and more mattresses comply with such rules and become more sensitive on the environmental impact they leave as well as your own health.
- Company Reputation
Of the most important features to determine if a mattress is worth investing in, is how the company treats its customers. Things like the company’s trial period, return policy, and overall customer service are critical and a factor you have to beware of, before committing to a particular buy.
- Return rate
No company ever publicly discloses their return rate however, we urge the company to let us know this statistic in private so that you know there is a relatively low level of return rate for the product you purchase.
- Overall Philosophy
It is not a matter of stating if a mattress is great or sucks, but more of whether if you might like it depending on your sleeping preference and other characteristics you may fancy in a mattress. Ultimately, this is a subjective process however we try to point you towards the right direction rather than impose our views.
Top 10 Mattresses of 2017
|Gel memory foam||365 nights
|Nectar Review||Best of the best|
|Copper memory foam||120 nights
|Layla review||Best mattress for side sleepers|
|Nolah Air foam||120 nights
|Nolah review||Best mattress for back pain|
|Gel memory foam||100 nights
|Bear review||Best mattress for athletes|
|Latex + Memory foam||200 nights
|Dromma review||Best hybrid foam mattress|
|Latex + memory foam||100 nights
|Casper review||Best known bed-in-a-box|
|Memory foam + coil||100 nights
|Aviya review||Best hybrid innersping mattress|
|Organic latex + coil||100 nights
|Avocado review||Best organic latex hybrid mattress|
|Avena Foam||100 nights
|Leesa review||A safe comfort choice|
|Bio-Pur plant-based memory foam||100 nights
|Amerisleep review||Best memory foam mattress|
Overview: The Nectar 11’’ memory foam mattress is considerably the best option if you are looking for a comfortable plush mattress with great benefits at a great price tag.
- Feels really supportive and comfortable
- A great value for money product, the company sits firmly on top of its competitors
- Nectar comes with an extremely dense foam for added pressure comfort
- Designed to deliver improved breathability, Nectar succeeds to separate itself from other common memory foam mattresses and sleeps extremely cool during the evening with the gel memory foam and the quilted cover enhanced with Tencel.
If you are looking for supreme quality in affordable price tag, the Nectar mattress should be on top of your list. It definitely makes it at the top 10 mattresses for 2017!
Its multiple layers of high quality foam and the handcrafted premium materials make it a luxury mattress that ranks higher in satisfaction compared to more expensive similar mattresses.
The creators of Nectar have designed a medium-firm mattress with a good feel and appropriate support to accommodate for all sleeping styles. Being a bit more towards a firmer feel, the Nectar mattress offers minimum motion transfer, sleeps cool and has good edge support.
It also offers a great choice if you are looking for the hug and contour of foam without that sinking feeling other foam mattresses do.
Of its highlights, is Nectar’s amazing extended trial period (365 nights) and an unbeatable lifetime warranty.
Overall, Nectar easily makes it at the top of this list and we highly recommend it.
- Cooling system with the combination of gel memory foam and Tencel infused cover
- Luxury materials for a great value product
- Forever warranty
- Almost none motion transfer
- 365 nights sleep trial
- Lacks a bit of bounce compared with latex foam
Overview: The Layla mattress promises and delivers an innovative design with its dual firmness in a single mattress, as well as a unique copper-infused and THERMOgel technology to keep you cool and enable pressure relief.
- Being the first mattress to add copper in the memory foam, it takes advantage of the unique features of this material
- Layla offers two firmness levels in one mattress, choose between soft and firm.
- The mattress cover is made with THERMOgel technology; this enables the bed to reach to body sweat and maintain a cool temperature all night long.
Layla is the best choice if you are a side sleeper and suffer from back or neck pain.
Its exclusive features focus on how it is the first brand to introduce dual copper-infused memory foam mattress.
Copper has many distinct qualities which will make your sleep as comfortable and restful as it gets: it facilitates pressure relief, reduces joint inflammation and stiffness overall. It also promotes blood circulation and provides a cool and relaxing feeling while you sleep. Mixing this with memory foam, makes for a mattress that sets itself apart from the rest.
- Sleeps really cool
- Promotes blood circulation
- Offers great pain relief and sleeps really comfortable
- Great addition of copper with memory foam
- Dual firmness option in a single mattress
- Some first-day smell which dissipates quickly
- Relatively new company
- Perhaps a bit of a hustle to flip the mattress over
Overview: Nolah definitely is a worthy mention in this list as it offers a luxurious and soft experience which rank it as one of the world’s best mattresses.
- Nolah combines the bouncy latex foam and the responsive memory foam to offer unique comfort and bouncy support while it cradles the body.
- It sleeps extremely cool due to its unique cooling system with the premium materials used for extra air circulationall through the mattress layers.
Despite being new, the company behind Nolah have established themselves in the marketplace as a respected company which provides high quality products.
It is certain that sleeping on Nolah will ensure the sort of luxury and softness needed to exceed your expectations, made of premium materials that will serve for an experience which is well over the average.
There are several characteristics that set Nolah apart. Starting from the air flow technology due to
the Nolah Air Foam™ and the Avena® Foam, moving on to the High-Density Polyurethane Foam, these all make for a soft but still very supportive sleeping surface with substantial bounce.
In addition they succeed to sleep cool and contouring to relieve sensitive points.
It is also good if you are somewhat overweight since although it is perhaps softer than usual. In any case, this mattress is a must if you are looking for a comfortable mattress that is also resilient and will last for many years.
- Sleeps cooler than expected
- The copper infused memory foam will last longer than Latex
- Good for heavy people
- Environmentally-friendly – you have the option to adopt a wild animal when you purchase a mattress
- Ideal for side and back sleepers
- Relatively new company
- Perhaps a bit expensive compared to its competitors
- Possibly not firm enough
Overview: The Bear Mattress is a unique addition to the mattress industry, with its exclusive focus on athletes and other active people.
- The Bear Mattress is a bed-in-a-box model, sold online only which aims to provide for better value than mattresses sold in stores
- Only one firmness setting available
- Minimal motion transfer
- It is made of high-density memory fom and due to its unique Celliant technology
which sleeps cooler and facilitates fast recovery if you live an active or demanding lifestyle
Bear mattress contributes significantly to the mattress industry as it is specifically designed to address athletes’ needs.
Bear mattress distinct feature is found in the Super Cool Graphite-Gel Memory Foam. Together with the Celliant technology used, it is the secret to sleeping so cool. It is also the reason why the mattress performs really well in terms of preventing heat from being trapped in the mattress, while it enables improved air circulation and pressure relief.
Bear mattress is ranked as medium firm and is recommended for any type of sleeper, however it might not be ideal if you sleep on your stomach. It is a good option as well for heavy people.
- Sleeps really cool
- Provides with substantial pressure relief and facilitates fast recovery
- Celliant technology prevents heat retention and promotes enhanced air flow and pressure relief
- You will meet substantial support from the company
- Un-removable cover
- Not as bouncy as a latex mattress
Overview: The Drömma Bed is another online-only offering with a couple of unique aspects to it that make it stand out from the rest.
- Eco-friendly materials that stand out: the top layer is made of natural latex
- The mattress is 2” thicker than industry standards, making it more durable
- The memory foam is bio-based –eco-friendly mattress
- Two firmness options available
Drömma Bed is a hybrid foam style mattress sold exclusively online that stands out from others competitors.
Its best features include the use of natural materials making it a great choice if you prefer a green mattress. In particular, the creators of Drömma Bed use natural latex rather than synthetic latex and bio-based foam as part of the memory foam.
Being a medium firm mattress, Drömma Bad is appropriate for side sleepers as it can provide great pressure relief while still offers the right level of softness for enough comfort.
The top natural latex layer and gel memory foam enhance the cooling effect to help you enjoy a restful night’s sleep without disruptions caused be excessive heat or sweat.
- Sleeps really cool
- Provides substantial comfort and pressure relief
- Great combination using natural materials
- Great value for money under $1000
- Bad edge support
- Not the best option for overweight people
Overview: Casper is perhaps the best known bed-in-a-box option with a latex over memory foam construction. Still, there are nowadays better options available delivering great value.
- Casper consists of three different layers of foam (premium latex, high-density memory foam and regular foam)
- Casper performs really well at sleeping cool due to the latex foam on the top.
- It is no longer considered as the best mattress available since many other competitors set the bar much higher.
- Offers free express shipping.
Casper is a relatively new company launched in 2014 which has quickly become one of the most popular mattresses sold online.
Over the years it has been in the market, the creators of Casper have re-designed their mattress twice. Our review is based on the latest edition available in the market.
Casper is an all foam mattress designed to create a responsive, but contouring feel for sleepers by combining a response poly foam with memory foam.
- Positive consumer reviews
- Sleeps cool
- Comfort plush feel with the different foams used
- It’s a new brand with limited data
- Only one firmness model to choose from
- Lack of firm edge support
- You will experience some motion transfer
Overview: Aviya is a premium hybrid innerspring mattress which will not disappoint even the most demanding with its quality luxurious features and benefits, all at an incredibly reasonable cost.
- Aviya features extra 2 inches compared to industry standards so it adds in terms of durability
- Offers enhanced edge support with the 3 inches of foam added in the edges
- 3 firmness choices including innerspring to make it very responsive
- Sleeps extremely cool due to its 1” Cooling Comfort Foam.
- The high density polyurethane foam provides exceptional comfort and added support
Aviya is a mattress which succeeds to bring together premium materials to provide with optimum comfort with its high-density foam and the pocketed innerspring coil system engineered to offer the kind of edge support and appropriate lumbar alignment you need.
Choose between Firm, Luxury Firm, and Plush/Soft, with the supportive innerspring making it ideal for a variety of sleepers.
Fortunately, there is only a minimal smell in Aviya mattress upon unpacking which quickly dissipates and is non-toxic. The environmentally friendly polyurethane foams as part of the manufacturing process ensure there are no harmful chemicals involved.
- Extra 2 inches enable for greater durability and comfort
- The hybrid construction is ideal
- Special five layers construction
- Choose between three firmness choices
- Offers substantial edge support
- Environmentally friendly materials, components and production processes – CertiPUR-US Certified
- Possibly slower delivery than usual
Avocado Gwen mattress
Overview: Avocado Gwen is the ultimate eco-friendly “green” mattress option offering a set of unique features in one ecological mattress, combining the support and durability of springs with natural Dunlop latex.
- Avocado Gwen uses 100% natural materials from top to bottom
- It is expected that at 13 inches thick, it is highly durable compared to other mattresses
- The mattress provides 2 firmness options with the option of adding the pillow top
- Avocado Gwen sleeps very cool, mainly due to the natural materials used throughout its layers
- It appears to be quite bouncy/resilient
Definitely an investment you will not lose out, the Avocado Gwen mattress is ideal if you worry for health issues as well as the environmental footprint you leave.
This mattress is made from 100% organic Dunlop latex. The mattress consists of:
- 100% Pure Joma® New Zealand Wool
- 100% Recycled Steel Support Coils
- a GOTS certified organic cotton layer sheet with crafted button tufted
A highlight of Avocado Gwen is the 2” latex Euro-Style pillow. This is exactly what you need in terms of a balanced, soft yet supportive feeling sleeping surface which is sturdy and does not sink too much into the mattress. A highlight is how Gwen mattress comes with heavy-duty handles so carrying it around should not be a concern.
This mattress comes at medium firmness and includes the seal of approval as appropriate for back and spinal health.
- 100% organic Dunlop latex used
- Euro Pillow Top design for added comfort
- High quality eco-friendly materials and sturdy build
- 100% pure Joma New Zealand Wool
- Can take away your previous mattress without charge
- Little motion transfer
- More expensive compared to similar mattresses of other brands
Amerisleep Liberty Bed
Overview: The Amerisleep Liberty Bed Plant-Based Memory Foam Mattress is a highly-rated mattress offering premium eco-friendly features and benefits which typically come only in very expensive premium competitors.
- The Amerisleep Liberty Bed is 12” tall, an extra thickness which adds more durability and support compression
- Liberty uses Celliant® in their covers which retains heat and helps for a restful sleep experience overall
- It features Bio-Pur plant-based memory foam layerfor an eco-friendly and healthy living as well as a great cooling effect
- It is manufactured in the USA using a patented VPF technology process which leaves no harmful effect in the environment
Liberty by Amerisleep is among the top rated models the brand offers. It features a unique bio-plant based memory foam which ensures you remain healthy and sleep comfortable all together.
The mattress is manufactured in the USA using a patented VPF technology process which completely revolutionizes the manufacturing process as instead of producing foam in an open environment that emits harmful contaminants into the air, the Variable Pressure Foaming (VPF) leaves the air cleaner than before.
Liberty’s highlight among others is found in the surface cover of the mattress. This contains unique fibers infused with a mineral-based material called Celliant.
This technology also found in the Bear mattress for example, allows the memory foam underneath to fully contour to the body, and instantly return right back to its original shape afterward.
Under the cover, Amerisleep designed a fiber fire barrier to meet flame standards, which is GreenQuard certified for healthier protection.
- Celliant®-infused cover which is medically proven to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer
- Manufactured in the USA using patented VPF technology
- Thicker than most online mattresses – more durable
- Special bio-core form to sleep really cool
- No odor upon unpacking
- Sleeps a little too warm as it is common with memory foam mattresses
- A bit too expensive
Leesa mattress: a safe comfort choice
Overview: The Leesa memory foam mattress is definitely a worth mention in this list as its top notch quality materials and design offer extreme comfort, support and restful and restorative sleep.
- Slightly firm mattress which however can suit all sleeping positions
- Its most unique aspect in terms of construction is the Avena Foam®, which rates extremely high among users’ reviews as far as responsiveness and the support offered
- Leesa sports a versatile, stylish cover that comes in two designs – Classic Leesa and the Airlifting Limited Edition for an extra touch of style and design
The Leesa mattress was manufactured with a focus to make sure this meets a wide variety of different requirements. Designed with 3 layers of foam, the Avena foam®, the memory foam and the support foam – all consistent with eco-friendly standards and premium CertiPUR-US® certified – the intention is to keep your body cool and comfortable while offering pressure relief and compression support.
Unlike many brands nowadays, Leesa offers a single softness level which is medium firm. In this sense, Leesa is considered appropriate for the average sleeper and is not recommended for someone in need of an overly soft or overly firm mattress.
This leading model with the unique Avena foam® also featured in the Nolah mattress, cradles and contours the body without that “sinking” feeling other foams cause. In addition, it helps prevent shoulder pain or hip pain when sleeping.
Leesa will do a good job at sleeping cool, although there are other brands which perform better in terms of the cooling effect they produce. Nevetheless, Leesa does really well in terms of motion isolation, as it absorbs motion easily, making it ideal for couples.
Last but not least, a highlight with this mattress is the ‘iconic’ four striped cover available in two designs consisting of polyester-Lycra blend fabric. The cover is both cool and very soft to touch while it looks great.
- Great comfort/support trade-off and Universal Feel
- Good design and great cover
- A bit more expensive than its competitors offering similar features
- Perhaps not the best option for heavy people
Choosing the right mattress is to an extent a subjective process as it depends on varying factors which come down to individual preferences. There is no such thing as a brand that pleases everyone, all the time. Each kind of mattress has its pros and cons, and this makes some customers love them or hate them accordingly.
However, there are certain brands which distinguish themselves from other and tend to rate better than others, as they perform consistently better in factors like comfort, support, motion transfer, sleeping cool, durability, eco-friendly materials used, customer service, warranty, trial, and overall value for money.
Although usually, quality comes with a price, thankfully, you don’t have to pay tons of money to get a top quality mattress nowadays. There are plenty of options available at reasonable cost which will provide you the much needed sleep you need to sustain a healthy lifestyle and relieve from pain.
In this list we took the time to review among the many mattresses available which are the best for each situation. Although you shouldn’t take it for granted, it is more likely that if you choose among these top 10 mattresses for 2017, you will end up with a mattress that will last long and offer extra support and added comfort, while accommodate for specific needs.
Hope you found this article of help and are now more informed to make the proper decision for you. Don’t forget to share our post if you liked it and take a look at individual reviews for each of the mattresses above to help you make up your mind.